APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can someone walk me through creating sweeping circles in Motion 5?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RileyCan someone walk me through creating sweeping circles in Motion 5?
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 12:36:57 am

I am having a lot of difficulty figuring this out despite viewing many tutorials.

What I am looking to do is create an effect similar to the pink circle in this video:

I imported the file into motion and have been looking at the layers but I still can't figure out how to do it.

Using this tutorial: https://library.creativecow.net/articles/neil_andy/Motion-Quick-Tip-3-Radar... I felt I got close but this is not exactly what I needed.

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Can someone walk me through creating sweeping circles in Motion 5?
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 6:38:58 am

Try this tutorial of mine for an interesting take on this technique:

It should help you to create what you want ... and a lot, lot more.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Can someone walk me through creating sweeping circles in Motion 5?
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:19:18 am

Of course, you could ignore the tutorial and simply create a circle with a big fat outline and no fill. (If the outline width is large enough, it will create a filled circle.)

Set the Start and End caps to None.

Add a Write On Behavior to each circle and set it to Draw and Erase.

Duplicate as required, changing the colours and sizes.

Offset the start points of your circles and rotate some of them through 180 degrees on Y, and so on as required.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael RileyRe: Can someone walk me through creating sweeping circles in Motion 5?
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:05:33 pm

I will absolutely check out your tutorial. Thank you so much for posting that. You advice for the write-on technique was absolutely the solution I was looking for. So much gratitude to you right now!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:59:28 pm

Glad to hear that worked for you.

Pleased to be of help :)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael RileyRe: Can someone walk me through creating sweeping circles in Motion 5?
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 7:28:05 pm

I discovered the ideal solution for what I need. The solution for creating a circle with a huge outline shift left the middle with an uneven swing.

My steps:
1. Draw a straight line.
2. Hit L to replicate the line.
3. Create a sequence replicator.
4. Replicator settings:
Shape: Line
All start and end points at 0
600 Points
Angle End: 360

Sequence Replicator Settings:
Opacity: 0%
Sequencing: From

Now I have another question.

At the halfway mark I want the change the second half of the circle to a different color. One half blue and the other half red. Keyframing colors makes a gradual change which is not what I want. I could probably make two separate line/replicator layers and make the angle end degrees 180, but is there a simpler solution for this?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2016 at 7:32:39 pm

Also brush width on the original line has to be 15 and the brush type has to be airbrush.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2016 at 7:34:17 pm

[Michael Riley] "At the halfway mark I want the change the second half of the circle to a different color. One half blue and the other half red. Keyframing colors makes a gradual change which is not what I want. I could probably make two separate line/replicator layers and make the angle end degrees 180, but is there a simpler solution for this?"

Use your crazy replicator (!) as a matte for a colour gradient.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2016 at 8:15:00 pm

Or why not try using Color Mode/Over Patterm in your replicator?

If you set the Point 2 origin for your Line to zero on X and Y you can achieve a nice radial gradient using this method.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2016 at 8:20:46 pm

Another cool way of creating a radial gradient is to apply a Radial Blur to a Two Color Ray Generator with just two divisions.

There are many, many ways of achieving the same effect in Motion - it all depends on which you prefer. And of course some are a lot more efficient than others ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2016 at 6:47:08 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 28, 2016 at 6:48:09 am

Try this alternative method, which is a lot more efficient and which allows you to work with a gradient. It's well worth knowing about this technique because it has many uses.

Add a gradient generator (1920x1080 in a 1080 project) and set the Start X and Y to zero, End X to say 1440 (or to taste) and End Y to zero. (Make sure it is centred on the canvas.)

Make the enclosing group Fixed Resolution and add a Polar filter to the group. Use a circular mask as necessary to crop the outside of the circle to the required size.

Now simply animate the X position of the gradient - start at negative 1920 and end at positive 1920.

Obviously by adjusting the gradient itself you can achieve a whole range of different and interesting results. Or you could simply use the result as a matte for your own fill.

The Polar filter can seem confusing at first if you're not used to the concept but it can be immensely useful for this kind of thing.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2016 at 3:28:35 pm

I will absolutely try this technique as well as learn the other ones you have posted. Masks are confusing for me and I have been tying to teach myself how to use them. Thanks so much you are being so helpful!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 3:21:24 am

What is the Apple Motion equivalent to the Trim Paths feature in After Effects?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 3:41:55 pm

[Michael Riley] "What is the Apple Motion equivalent to the Trim Paths feature in After Effects?"

This is exactly what I showed you first of all - the First and Last Point Offsets are exactly the same as Trim Path. The Write On Behavior gives you easy instant control over these but of course you can animate them manually as required.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]