APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Adding a NEW additional title to an existing scrolling text

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sherril SchlesingerAdding a NEW additional title to an existing scrolling text
by on Mar 6, 2016 at 7:43:20 pm

Hi,

Does anybody out there have any words of wisdom for me on how to ADD a scrolling title to an already completed end crawl that cannot be redone! I have matched the size and font and found a perfect slot for it BUT I cannot figure out how to make it move smoothly with the original scroll. No matter what I've tried: analyzing, adding match move, imitating source and various other things but the NEW title always wants to drift at a different pace than the original. I just cannot get it to stick in it's "slot".....any ideas would be welcome. I am new to Motion so I'm not even sure if the new text and source should be in the same group or not....I feel like I'm missing something basic and simple....because it's so close!!!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andy NeilRe: Adding a NEW additional title to an existing scrolling text
by on Mar 6, 2016 at 10:41:29 pm

By finished you mean that the end credit crawl is a rendered QT movie as opposed to a motion project? If you're dealing with a QT movie, the thing I'd suggest is to use the Throw behavior on your new text. Mark a play range at the point in the credits where your "gap" is. Place your text on top of another credit so you can reliably track the speed it travels. Then adjust the speed of the throw in the behaviors tab until you have it moving at the exact speed as the rest of the credits. Then reposition the text off screen (you may need a little trial and error here too) so it rolls into view like the rest of the credits.

The cool thing about the throw behavior is when you have the velocity set, you can move the text anywhere and it'll still move at the same speed.

There's not a super-easy fix. This takes a little trial and error, but it's much faster than trying to get a match move out of Motion. You can zero in on the speed in probably 5 minutes or so.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Sherril SchlesingerRe: Adding a NEW additional title to an existing scrolling text
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 12:59:28 am

Hi Andy,

That was EXACTLY what I needed.....THANK YOU!!!!
I had tried so many different behaviors but who knew that THROW was the one I needed.
You literally have saved me from pulling all of my hair out :)

I can still see a very slight vertical shift from where it begins to where it ends, but despite minuscule tweaking I don't seem to be able to eliminate that. If you have any other suggestions for final perfection, I'd love to hear them.

Profoundly grateful!
Sherril

Return to posts index

Andy NeilRe: Adding a NEW additional title to an existing scrolling text
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 6:22:10 am

Well, without seeing the credits, I can only suggest two things. First, You can make minute adjustments to the velocity by holding down the OPT key while dragging in the value. Or you can type in decimals if you like to try and get it exact. Perhaps you've already done that, but that's one thing.

The other thing to try depends on how the credits look. I did a similar thing once when they needed me to add someone's name to the credits after they'd been rendered out and flattened. To hide the edit, I replaced/rebuilt the credits for an entire section (ie: animatiors, visual effects, sound department, etc.). It was a lot easier to hide any slight deviation in the animation of an entire section than it was to hide a single name in a block of other text.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]