APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred SchenkelbergMotion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 3, 2015 at 6:53:17 pm

Pretty new to Motion so looking for an approach

I have a simple logo (looks like a sun) moving from off screen lower left to about a mid point up and one third from left edge. The right side of the stage is text.

I would like to start with a black screen, then reveal the text and background as the sun rises,,,, with arc moving from lower left to cover entire stage...

I've tried just adding an rectangle, that is black with transition to transparent gradient, then move it across the stage ..... it has a straight line for the transition between black and transparent, with a little feathering... close yet not what I'm looking for.

I tried using a circle to cut out a bite from a rectangle to get the 'arc of light' coming from the sun, then move that arc across the stage to reveal from black to transparent, yet not able to sort out how to blur the transition of the circle crop out of of the rectangle.

So, what is a way to create the illumination of the stage as if the rising sun is doing the illumination?

Ideally, it'd like to include sunrise colors - rosy soft red glow.... visualize how the sky changes from dark of night to full light of day.... where the landscape is the text and background image on the stage.

Any ideas of how to make this happen?

Return to posts index

Robin S. KurzRe: Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 9:51:36 am

[Fred Schenkelberg] "So, what is a way to create the illumination of the stage as if the rising sun is doing the illumination?"

Use an actual light?

- RK

Return to posts index

Fred SchenkelbergRe: Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 9:59:16 am

that was the approach that seems to work well - just need to sort out the color changes, which I think I can do with multiple lights and key frames on the color and intensity.... need to play with this more.

Return to posts index

Robin S. KurzRe: Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 10:14:09 am

Why multiple? Simply one (point light) with the intensity, falloff and color keyframed as needed. Depending on the scene, maybe an additional ambient.

- RK

Return to posts index

Fred SchenkelbergRe: Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 10:19:33 am

How do I get the long shadows on the text? I made the text 3d with a little depth, yet the point light seems to only be pointing straight down at the slide/text, not oblique as if shining across the landscape in the morning.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2015 at 10:20:52 am

I'd use a directional light for that.

Return to posts index

jan maslowRe: Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:12:48 pm

I don't know if this would be relevant to your project, but if you ever want the lights to apply to some layers but not others, you can make the layers you want to be affected 3D, and keep the others 2D.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:47:09 pm

[jan maslow] "you can make the layers you want to be affected 3D, and keep the others 2D."

Actually, you simply turn the shading off for whatever 3D layer. I can't actually think of any situations where keeping something 2D just for lighting reasons will actually work as needed.

- RK

Return to posts index

jan maslowRe: Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 3:38:54 pm

Thanks Robin. Not being a video or tech person, and having taught myself Motion, there's so much I don't know and understand about how it works. Do you know of any really comprehensive, in-depth courses that would cover things like this and how to use things like simulation behaviors for many different effects?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2015 at 4:13:02 pm

I'd be interested in a good in depth course, too -

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Motion 5 add layer that reveals lower layers as if its a sunrise
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:13:14 pm

Rippletraining.com

Probably about 300 free videos/tutorials, but to really get the idea, their entire Motion library is on sale 30-40% off right now I think about $189. Or each specific course about $50.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:14:14 pm

thanks, will have to check it out.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2015 at 6:58:50 pm

[jan maslow] "Do you know of any really comprehensive, in-depth courses that would cover things like this and how to use things like simulation behaviors for many different effects?"

The by far best (if not ONLY) place to go: http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/motion/

Worth every penny, by far the most comprehensive. didactically sound.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]