APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Workflow process for keying: Motion 5, FCPX, Resolve 12

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael HolmesWorkflow process for keying: Motion 5, FCPX, Resolve 12
by on Dec 1, 2015 at 4:30:55 pm

I am new to Motion, so I have a basic question.
I am working on a scene consisting of four clips shot in front of a green screen, a street scene background jpeg, and an ambience audio track.

I did the following:
- Converted the clips from H264 to ProRes using EditReady
- Imported the clips and jpeg into Motion 5
- Keyed the clips to replace the green screen with the background jpeg
- resized and repositioned the clips as needed to properly size and locate the actors on the background.

At this point, I intended to simply move the project into FCPX (or Resolve 12) to color grade and edit to produce the final product.

Then I found that this can't be done, and I must export the product from Motion 5, then import into FCPX (or Resolve 12).

The problem is, each clip was shot at a different time with different lighting, so each clip needs different color grading treatment. So, I want the clips to remain separate through the color grading process.

I'm now thinking I have to:
- Individually color grade the clips and the jpeg in Resolve 12, then export each
- Import into Motion 5, key and edit, then export
- Import into FCPX (or Resolve 12) for final editing.

This is a lot of importing/exporting. I could avoid it all if I could key in FCPX, but I get better results in Motion 5.

Am I wrong on this? Is there a simpler workflow process?

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Workflow process for keying: Motion 5, FCPX, Resolve 12
by on Dec 1, 2015 at 5:23:13 pm

The keyer in FCP X is exactly the same keyer in Motion so I don't know why you would get different results.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Michael HolmesRe: Workflow process for keying: Motion 5, FCPX, Resolve 12
by on Dec 1, 2015 at 5:56:16 pm

OK, I'll check out the current keyer in FCPX. I haven't used it for quite some time, but the last time I did it lacked some controls that I am using in Motion 5 that significantly improve the result. Maybe these controls have been added to the FCPX keyer in recent updates.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Workflow process for keying: Motion 5, FCPX, Resolve 12
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 5:29:11 am

Been exactly the same for maybe 3 years now. So if all you're doing is keying and positioning in Motion, then you'd be better off leaving Motion out of the mix. Resolve too unless you really have some 3D tracking necessary. You could emulate power windows and color wheels if you had slice X and color finale installed, but sounds like for your needs the FCP X color board along with draw masks should suit just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]