APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion and El Capitan

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jan maslow
Motion and El Capitan
on Nov 24, 2015 at 3:03:38 pm

I'm currently using Mavericks (OSX 10.9.5). I didn't upgrade to Yosemite because I'd heard it had problems with Motion and didn't want to risk messing up old files. Are you aware of any problems with Motion and El Capitan?

Thanks,
Jan

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Motion and El Capitan
on Nov 25, 2015 at 9:47:03 am

I'm personally not even aware of any issues with Yosemite, let alone El Capitan, no.

- RK

Return to posts index

jan maslow
on Nov 25, 2015 at 1:40:05 pm

Thank you Robin. Good to hear.

Jan

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Dec 5, 2015 at 11:15:13 pm

Motion in FCP7 does not work on upgrading to El Capitan !

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Dec 6, 2015 at 9:18:42 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Dec 6, 2015 at 11:50:40 am

Both FCP 7 and Motion 4 run under El Capitan. So no idea what you're talking about.

But even if they didn't run anymore... where exactly would the loss in that be?? Because if someone has a machine that can run El Capitan, then they'd clearly be shooting themselves in the foot by running either of those apps on that machine. For anything other than maybe legacy project reasons or the likes that it. Unless of course they intentionally wanted to shoot themselves in the foot... in which case... oh well.

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Dec 6, 2015 at 9:43:33 am

Everything else works but
It is fairly common knowledge that Motion 4 in FCP 7 does not work with El Capitan , I like a lot of other people mistakenly downloaded it without knowing so I am not very pleased.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Dec 6, 2015 at 9:47:11 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Dec 6, 2015 at 9:47:56 am

I don't know what "Motion 4 in FCP 7" means.

But again, why would anyone even insist on using either on an El Capitan capable machine of all things??

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Dec 6, 2015 at 10:05:55 am

Sadly some of us can't afford anything else !

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Dec 6, 2015 at 10:15:08 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Dec 6, 2015 at 11:51:34 am

Ah. So it's just a hobby and you don't make any money using them? Okay, that's different. Because if one makes a living with them and a measly $350 were somehow an issue... oh boy... then I think "Motion 4 in FCP 7" would be the least of one's problems.

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Dec 6, 2015 at 11:00:35 am
Last Edited By Derek Smith on Dec 6, 2015 at 11:49:40 am

T

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Dec 6, 2015 at 11:49:37 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:26:49 pm

:-D … huh??
Who exactly did I insult and how?

edit: redacted, I see.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 20, 2016 at 5:14:45 pm

You might want it to get your FCP X sequence into Motion 5. It is the only way to export a FCP X sequence to Motion 5 and it works quite well. XML your sequence to FCP 7 utilizing XtoCC app. Then open in 7 and use send to motion to create a Moton 4 version of the sequence. Then open that project in Motion 5. If you need to get a sequence to Motion 5, that's really the only way to do it.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 21, 2016 at 4:22:42 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 21, 2016 at 4:23:38 pm

[Bret Williams] "If you need to get a sequence to Motion 5, that's really the only way to do it."

I beg to differ, since that strikes me as an awfully long way around for an otherwise fairly nominal task. Simply exporting the section of the timeline that you want to use in the Motion project and using THAT as the basis for a new project, then simply publishing it as a generator to FCP X (easy right-click access after that) would be one way. If just a single clip, then hitting ⇧⌘R and using the clip that is shown as the basis (via "Create Project from File" that is) would be another. Certainly much much less convoluted with the exact same result.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 22, 2016 at 12:02:06 am

I'm talking about a situation where the NLE is basically used for shot selection and timing. Then the project is exported to AE or Motion where the clips are layered and mixed with graphics in 3D space with transitions and effects.

It's a pretty common need. Automatic duck made a living from it. Takes a mere seconds to use XtoCC (which can also get your project from X to AE even easier) to get your XML to Legacy, and another couple seconds to output a Motion 4 file. You don't even need to touch motion 4. Just open the Motion 4 file in Motion 5.

Anyway, the only use I can think of anymore for having FCP 7/Moiton 4 around.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:40:23 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:44:47 am

[Bret Williams] "I'm talking about a situation where the NLE is basically used for shot selection and timing. Then the project is exported to AE"

Ah. In which case I personally much prefer ClipExporter over AD for price reason's alone (v1.x is even FREE), but also since there's no "via XML" or via any other apps kludges needed either (in v2.1) with the additional optional goodies of getting trimmed copies of clips AND as Nuke files. And from my non-scientific comparisons, the ClipExporter conversion is cleaner. Then there's always "SendTo" (Motion), that still works on not-too-complex projects, which is also free. Because if you add both AD and XtoCC price-wise in comparison... (O_O)

- RK

Return to posts index

jan maslow
on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:08:31 pm

Thank you Derek. Fortunately, I'm using Motion 5.

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Jan 19, 2016 at 6:57:05 pm

We are on the last version of Yosemite and Motion 5 has always caused us troubles when opening. Usually takes at least 2 attempts and then finally after 3 or so minutes opens. Today, I even called Apple support. They claim that moving to "El Capitan" would give a better than 50% chance of improving all application launches. But it could also slow down application launches they said. We've got an i7 with 32gigram, and I know that Motion is not getting "Ram Starved". Very dissappointing because I use Motion for some things that are just lightyears ahead of and easier than After Effects. Posted this same issue over a year ago and I'll now be searching thru the Creative Cow Archives because I did find a workaround thanks to the loyal members of Creative Cow!

D's Video

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:04:57 pm

Mark Spencer from Ripple Training answered the Motion 5 launching issue for me 6 months ago in this same forward. Holding down the "Option" and "Command" keys while launching Motion, trashes the Preferences.
That worked again for me today, so evidently, this is a regular occurrence you must do like performing periodic. maintanance on the program when laucnhing.

D's Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]