APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Zipper Effect

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter GordonZipper Effect
by on Aug 24, 2015 at 11:22:15 am

Hi,

Just after ideas about creating a zipper effect the zipper moves down the middle of the screen to "open "up and reveal a new scene behind it. Trying to work out best way to create the first layer so that it can split as the zipper moves down the screen. Besides the obvious 2 separate sides of the screen joined together to look like it's joined, is there a behaviour I could use to create an effect or simply keyframing both sides moving as the zip drops down... Hoping other options are possible?

It doesn't necessarily need the teeth of the zipper to reveal (although ideas welcome on how best to create that) but I guess the smoothest way to animate the splitting of the screen apart or how best to approach creating this concept.

The idea is that the zipper down will open the motion graphic and then a series of information about the company and then close episode by zipping up the scene again back to the logo.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Zipper Effect
by on Aug 24, 2015 at 8:42:15 pm

2 page peels. I recently did something similar but it was a guy cutting through with a chainsaw, but the 2 sides fell away like they were being zipped open.

I'd probably find a zipper graphic off istock or big stock and drop it over the seam.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Zipper Effect
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 7:29:16 pm

Wouldn't it be funner though, to sew/glue a real zipper onto two pieces of greenscreen cloth, and stop-mo animate the opening?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 27, 2015 at 5:33:29 am

I guess if a zipper floating in mid air is funny. You do realize that just because the green screen opens or folds or peels that the video doesn't adhere to the 3D shape of the cloth, right?

Now put some white dots on the cloth and use a 3D planar tracker and maybe...

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Zipper Effect
by on Aug 27, 2015 at 12:05:15 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Aug 27, 2015 at 12:13:29 pm

Yes, I do know the base layer video wouldn't "stick" to the green layer; in some cases, this wouldn't matter too much, it depends on the unique situation and how things are scaled.

The sides of the zipper can be drawn with the path tool in Motion5. The "teeth" can be done using a replicated object (a simple rectangle should do, but it could be a drawn polygon, if you wanna get fancy) distributed along the drawn path. I think I would make one side, then mirror it. I would probably make the path a loose right angle, and have it rotate outwards to spread out and reveal the new transition layer as the zipper "opens" . A hand-drawn multipoint mask can create a "window" to the new footage layer as the two sides of the zipper paths rotate open. The zipper pull-slide would be of course animated on an independent layer. The page peels are on a base layer group, and the teeth and slide are groups layered above it.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 27, 2015 at 6:37:59 pm

Why not have the left side image with left teeth and rt side image with rt teeth and just have them both page peel away so everything stays synced together. I'd add the zipper pull on top and just slide it down slightly ahead of the peel. Anyway, certainly doable!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]