APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Nat able to 'add parameter behaviour'

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nat hill
Nat able to 'add parameter behaviour'
on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:56:20 am

Hello,

I'm new to motion and trying to familiarise myself with some of the things that are possible.

I am trying to 'add parameter behaviour' - I want to 'randomize' the strobe behaviour that I have ontop of a clip. When I select the drop down menu from the strobe behaviour tab, the 'add parameter behaviour' option is greyed out', as in it is not an option to even select it to start playing around with it.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks alot

Nat

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Nat able to 'add parameter behaviour'
on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:00:42 am

Some parameters simply aren't "behaviorable".

- RK

Return to posts index

Luke Jones
on Jul 31, 2015 at 4:38:38 pm

Like Robin said, not all parameters are "behaviorable". As an alternative, try the Strobe filter.

Return to posts index

nat hill
on Jul 31, 2015 at 9:05:24 pm

Thanks a lot for responding to both of you.

The strobe filter is something i like to use quite a lot. I see whilst reading through forums that on final cut 7 it was available in the fcp interface to add a strobe effect. I have been playing around with this as to try and set up a strobe effect to use directly from fcp x with clip. Setting each one up individually as a file in motion and then sending it across as a published clip seems absurd, and it would astound me if there were no faster way on a professional editing program to do something seemingly simple.

I've tried to publish strobe as a behaviour which is disabled. I have published a clip with the strobe behaviour so I could then copy paste, however the behaviour is then embedded and not copiable.
I've tried with the strobe filter, however the behaviour is completely different, and when it is published, it acts in quite a strange manner.

If it was easier to send media back and forwards between fcp x and motion i guess something like this would not be such an issue. However on reading though forums, I also see that this was something that could be done easily on fcp 7, and it is something that people were complaining about 4 years ago, and it appears that it has not changed.

I really like fcp and what you are able to do. However some key elements are missing no??

I'm not here to write off fcp, because as i said, I really like what you are able to do with it. I suppose I am just looking for confirmation that '' you cannot do what you want to do in an easier manner '' and so i will stop searching for one.

nat

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 31, 2015 at 11:05:09 pm

[nat hill] "I have been playing around with this as to try and set up a strobe effect to use directly from fcp x with clip. Setting each one up individually as a file in motion and then sending it across as a published clip seems absurd, and it would astound me if there were no faster way on a professional editing program to do something seemingly simple."

Which is why you would make an effect from it and simply publish it to FCP with the needed parameters. Anything else won't work as needed.

Far from absurd. Highly unique and powerful actually. I know of no other NLE that offers that kind or level of integration. Though a "Send to" á la 7 would certainly be a nice addition, yes.

[nat hill] "I've tried to publish strobe as a behaviour which is disabled."

Behaviors don't publish, no. For (for me) obvious reasons. If you were to publish one, that would require very specific conditions to be met every time you applied it, to have it even work. I.e. it wouldn't work most of the time, resulting in similar complaints, technically born from PEBKAC. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:10:29 am

One of the first effects I ever made for FCPX. Make an effect, add strobe, publish it and save.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 1, 2015 at 9:37:00 am

"You can roll your own in Motion, but if you’re lazy, here ya go:"

http://fcpxpert.net/2014/07/14/basic-strobe-effect/

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]