APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Something other than 'gradient wipe' needed.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Caganoff
Something other than 'gradient wipe' needed.
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:20:39 am
Last Edited By Gary Caganoff on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:57:21 am

Hi,

I'm mocking up a sequence for a potential client and I need to animate some still and video images. Have tried a few ways but it doesn't look good. My expertise is in doco so not so familiar with animation techniques. Am working in FCP7 on this one but just updated to X and still getting my head around the new paradigm. Also have Motion 5 and am a beginner with it.

Here's the scenario I wish to animate:

We're looking at water in an underground water tank, then I want to move up through the layers of soil in the next image, then move up again to the surface, depicting a garden, third image.

How to do it and make it look impressive?

Thanks for your help on this.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Something other than 'gradient wipe' needed.
on Mar 28, 2015 at 11:01:27 am

[Gary Caganoff] "…not so familiar with animation techniques […] just updated to X and still getting my head around the new paradigm. Also have Motion 5 and am a beginner with it."

No offence, but then you have someone do it for you. You're running without having walked, as they say.

OR spend some time and money here: http://www.rippletraining.com

- RK

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Something other than 'gradient wipe' needed.
on Mar 28, 2015 at 8:50:36 pm

[Gary Caganoff] "We're looking at water in an underground water tank, then I want to move up through the layers of soil in the next image, then move up again to the surface, depicting a garden, third image. How to do it and make it look impressive?"
Rather than a gradient wipe try using a Push transition. I believe that you can achieve this look with 5 pieces of media and 4 Push transitions without any animation at all. Since you want to move up through layers a "Top to Bottom" directional Push transition in FCP X should give you the animation you need.

Media 1: Image of Underground Water Tank
Media 2: Image of layers of soil
Media 3: Whatever the "next image" is
Media 4: Image of more layers of soil with grass at top
Media 5: Image of the garden

Lay them out on your timeline like:

[Media 1][Push + Media 2 + Push][Media 3][Push + Media 4 + Push][Media 5]

For example: if you want the transition through the soil to take 6 seconds, make Media 2 a 3 second clip and drop a 3 second Push Transition on both ends which will make the entire 2 transitions 6 seconds because it will steal 1.5 seconds from the clips on each end plus the 3 second middle clip = 6 seconds.

Something like this for each one:

The key to the illusion is using "Top to Bottom" as the Direction setting in the Push transition so that the outgoing clip is pushed down from the top giving the viewer the illusion that they are moving up through the layers.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]