APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Feature Request

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Feature Request
on Oct 26, 2014 at 9:32:13 pm

As much as I love using Motion there a couple of things I would like to see in the next update:

Mask -- ability to assign different feather values for x and y, also the ability to have a mask expansion property.

Transitions -- would love to see these as well. Yes, there are plug-ins for this but they should also be native filters as well.

Video scopes -- useful when color correcting an image. Like to have an "objective" insight as to what is going on.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Feature Request
on Oct 26, 2014 at 10:08:15 pm

Not much we can do about it here but why not tell the folks who make the software:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/motion.html

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 27, 2014 at 7:42:13 am

[David Mathis] "Mask -- ability to assign different feather values for x and y, also the ability to have a mask expansion property."

This is very easy to achieve already - simply add a Gaussian Blur filter to the mask and you can set different values for horizontal and vertical.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 8:33:12 am

Aside from Mark of course being absolutely right...

[David Mathis] "Transitions -- would love to see these as well."

Motion is not an NLE. Transitions don't make much sense in the context of how it's meant to be used. Motion is ironically the place where you in fact MAKE transitions. For use in FCP.

[David Mathis] "Video scopes -- useful when color correcting an image."

Similar thing. Motion is not a grading app. You would generally do that after importing whatever it is into FCP or send everything to Resolve or the likes when it's all finished. Both of which of course have scopes.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 27, 2014 at 8:42:27 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Motion is not an NLE. Transitions don't make much sense in the context of how it's meant to be used."

They clearly make sense to Adobe who give you the option of Transitions in After Effects - where they can be a useful timesaver.

You're are right that it's easy enough to make your own in Motion. But just as the Fade Behavior can be a really quick way of adding fades, a Wipe Behavior would make quite a bit of sense too ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 9:14:03 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "who give you the option of Transitions in After Effects"

But even those aren't "transitions" in the classic sense, they're just called that. They're simply a pre-fab effect i.e. alpha masks/wipes of sorts, so you're still doing more compositing than any type of "transitioning". They don't even animate themselves. And you could do the exact same in Motion, just maybe not always quite as "one-click". Be it with 3rd party transitions, masks etc. or anything from the library which is full of stuff to use.

Since there is no relational connection between layers (such as in an NLE) there's no way of making transitions in that sense. So you're back to square one. Animating single layers i.e. compositing. You're just calling it a different name.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:09:41 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "But even those aren't "transitions" in the classic sense, they're just called that. They're simply a pre-fab effect i.e. alpha masks/wipes of sorts, so you're still doing more compositing than any type of "transitioning"."

I'm not sure why you would think that a transition is not a compositing operation.

Except in the fact that they don't auto-animate, After Effects transitions are clearly transitions in the fullest sense of the term.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:29:09 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "transitions in the fullest sense of the term."

Not in the NLE sense so, no, not in "the fullest sense". They are effects that can be used as transitions, yes. An NLE (the context/comparison I'm assuming he's referencing) clearly understands those two things as something entirely different and are also applied and utilised differently. AE simply has a pre-selection of effects that work well as transitions if you like and set them up accordingly.

But little point in arguing semantics. There are none defined as such in Motion (though there are plenty effects that could serve the exact same purpose) and I don't see them showing up in that sense any time soon. But who knows. There's always the aforementioned feedback page.

And great to know there's a version of PixelConduit working with the most current versions of Motion and X... I thought it had died with Motion 3 or 4! Nice.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:38:43 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Not in the NLE sense so, no, not in "the fullest sense". They are effects that can be used as transitions, yes. An NLE (the context/comparison I'm assuming he's referencing) clearly understands those two things as something entirely different and are also applied and utilised differently. AE simply has a pre-selection of effects that work well as transitions if you like and set them up accordingly.

But little point in arguing semantics"

Hmmm. OK, let's just leave it there. I would argue there is no fundamental conceptual difference between an After Effects transition and a typical NLE transition other than the auto-animation option you have mentioned. Your contention that a transition is not a compositing operation is still incorrect.

[Robin S. Kurz] "There are none defined as such in Motion"

Not true - there is a built-in transition and I have already mentioned it. It's the Fade Behavior. As I also pointed out, there is no reason at all why there shouldn't equally be a Wipe Behavior or a Star Transition Behavior or anything else you care to name ...

But I agree that it's extremely unlikely that we'll ever see them implemented in Motion.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:53:25 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:54:54 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "OK, let's just leave it there."

But then again... I guess maybe not. :-D

[Simon Ubsdell] "Your contention that a transition is not a compositing operation is still incorrect."

Only that I called it a composition/composing several times and not once did I contend it. It's a given that a transition is a type of composite.

[Simon Ubsdell] "there is a built-in transition and I have already mentioned it. It's the Fade Behavior."

Quote "none defined as such". Even that is called a behaviour, not a transition. One you can obviously use as a transition, sure. Just as you can use AE's effects as such, as I described. But again, semantics.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:10:20 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "It's a given that a transition is a type of composite."

Tell that to the guy who said this: "you're still doing more compositing than any type of "transitioning"".

Oh, that was you!

[Robin S. Kurz] "Even that is called a behaviour, not a transition. One you can obviously use as a transition, sure. Just as you can use AE's effects as such, as I described. But again, semantics."

You're arguing semantics and what things may or may not happen to be called, I'm pointing out what is actually happening in the applications under discussion. It's only by applying your eccentric viewpoint that an Ae transition is not a transition and a Motion Fade Behavior is not a transition.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:15:41 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:19:18 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "than any type of "transitioning""

We'll just ignore the quotation marks. For arguments sake.

[Simon Ubsdell] "your eccentric viewpoint"

:-D
Right.

You're all right, I'm completely wrong. Settled.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:24:32 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:34:59 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "And great to know there's a version of PixelConduit working with the most current versions of Motion and X... I thought it had died with Motion 3 or 4! Nice."

I can't vouch for its performance in Yosemite but PixelConduit seems to be working just fine in Motion 5.1.2 on Mavericks. In fact, I'd forgotten yet again what an incredibly powerful tool it is - very impressive.

For devotees of colour curves, for example, and they are many, this is just one of the many operations that Conduit now makes possible, but the really the whole feature set is astonishingly deep and flexible and extremely well thought out.

Because it runs in its own interface inside Motion rather than as a straight filter it can make for a somewhat awkward workflow but there are so many ways in which it extends what you can do that it's really worth getting to know. Not recommended if you can't get along with nodes, but very highly recommended if you like them.

(A joke comp to show you some of the controls ...)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:23:38 am

[David Mathis] "Video scopes -- useful when color correcting an image. Like to have an "objective" insight as to what is going on."

The outstandingly good and useful - and free - PixelConduit plug-in (http://pixelconduit.com/) gives you scopes inside Motion - not the prettiest but adequate as a rough guide.

(Best of all PixelConduit gives you node-based compositing in Motion ... Well worth checking out.)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:20:20 pm

Excellent and something that I overlooked.

On the transition subject, one could make a custom built one in any NLE, though it often requires starting from scratch each time. I love using the light overlays and bokeh effects from Rampant Design Tools for the occasional custom transition. I have published a basic fade in / out effect from Motion thus avoid having to set keyframes in FCP X, a small but useful time saver.

In the meantime, I will send Apple some feedback as Mark mentioned. I always look forward to advice, tips and tricks in this forum. Please keep on doing a super duper awesome excellent job!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]