APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Ramp Behavior, somewhat confused

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Ramp Behavior, somewhat confused
on Oct 24, 2014 at 6:38:52 pm

Greetings!

I am trying to build a custom transition for FCP X but running into a brick wall of sorts. I want clip A to scale down to zero on the x axis from right to left and have clip B scale up to 100% from the same direction. I set the anchor and position for x axis to -1920 on clip A with 1920 for the x axis on clip B, all works well.

The problem begins when trying to use a ramp behavior in place of keyframes. A ramp behavior is added to both clip A and clip B, with 0% for start value and -100% for end value on Clip A, and -100% to 0% on the clip B side of the coin. Both clips will get bigger or smaller but the animation takes too fast on the first clip, all the way down to 0% before the other clip gets larger, leaving some black during the transition. What will I need to do and would using keyframes be a better approach?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Ramp Behavior, somewhat confused
on Oct 24, 2014 at 10:36:19 pm

Some things are better done with keyframes. Clip scaling is one of those things. Particularly since you want the transition elements to start and end precisely.

Just ditch the behaviors and go with keyframes. You'll be done in 30 seconds.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 24, 2014 at 11:28:48 pm

Any good sources were I can learn what various parameters behaviors do? Really want to get into the more intermediate and advanced stuff.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 25, 2014 at 11:19:43 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Oct 25, 2014 at 2:42:58 pm

[David Mathis] "Any good sources were I can learn what various parameters behaviors do? Really want to get into the more intermediate and advanced stuff.
"

There are some great resources out there, including some excellent tutorials from Andy Neil himself right here on the COW. The best in depth training for Motion is undoubtedly Mark Spencer's definitive Ripple Training series.

But I'd also like to take this opportunity to mention my own YouTube Channel which is packed with Motion tutorials for the user wanting to progress to the next level with a lot of emphasis on using the parameter behaviors to create complex expression-type effects and relationships.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c46tWEb2grLQ95OGLxBJQ

Because these are project-based tutorials rather than specific to an individual tool or technique, you can pick up a lot of extra tricks and tips along the way that you could well find useful.

This popular Volumetric Lighting tutorial has a few behavior tips that you should definitely find interesting:

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]