APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Map with path, changing camera angle

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
Map with path, changing camera angle
on Oct 24, 2014 at 6:32:18 am

Hi!

I`ve made a travel route on a map in motion. Instead of seeing the line progressing from above, I want to change perspective, and see the progression through the eyes of the traveler - like you have the route in front of you, instead of from the above ---

If you understand what I mean.

Can I do it in motion?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Map with path, changing camera angle
on Oct 24, 2014 at 2:36:05 pm

Certainly. You can animate the camera's viewpoint to fly along just behind the arrow, or substitute for the arrow, and tweak this any number of ways.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Oct 24, 2014 at 4:14:42 pm

Oh, great - do you know any good tutorial on this?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 24, 2014 at 5:23:59 pm

Not offhand, but if you understand how to set keyframes, you can do this yourself. Make the project a 3-d composition, go to the end frame, grab the 3-d controls for the virtual camera and manually pan/til/position it where the view is what you want for the end of the trip. turn on key framing recorder, set the keyfames for the arrangement you just made on the last frame, turn the recorder off, then skim back to your first frame, turn the recorder on, re-position the camera to suit, turn the recorder off. Play the composition. Somewhere in the middle of the composition, the camera may not be exactly where you wanted it. Stop there, turn on the keyframe recorder, position the camera correctly, play some more. You continue refining this process by picking a spot between the last two keyframes you established and correcting at that mid-point; this method makes for the least amount of work, offloading most of the "in-betweening" to he computer.

There is probably a shortcut way to align the camera to a drawn path in Motion 5 and just alter it's altitude above that path, but I don't know how to do that yet, I'm still on motion 4.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 24, 2014 at 6:06:08 pm

You route will be a PATH, right? You could simply duplicate it, attach the camera to it and adjust as needed.

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:23:40 pm

Probably offseet the camera path in time so the arrow precedes it by a little bit, but yes.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Oct 25, 2014 at 3:46:36 pm

Thanx - I just need to dig into the camera controls - I`m a newbie to this, and I just need some more understanding to get a grip (-:

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 25, 2014 at 11:02:17 pm

The control handles that look like three hoops make the camera easy and intuitive to rotate and position. Just play wth it and I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time, and what's to lose, anyway? :-)

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Oct 26, 2014 at 6:58:34 pm

Yes; I will play around with it -
I duplicate my bezier layer (the route is set). So if I attach a camera to it (top level bezier?), I don`t need keyframes? Can I attach a camera TO A LAYER, or just above? I`m just confused of where I should put the camera.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 26, 2014 at 11:48:54 pm

Completely separate layer unto itself, if possible.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Oct 27, 2014 at 9:49:56 am

Ok,thanx, I`ll try.

Just seemed like a good idea to duplicate the bezier, and use the keyframes for the camera movement. Then make it a little bit offset, to see the arrow progression on the map. But that`s maybe what you actually suggests - just have to make it work (-:

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:05:09 am

[Morten Slemdal] "duplicate the bezier, and use the keyframes for the camera movement. Then make it a little bit offset, to see the arrow progression on the map. But that`s maybe what you actually suggests"

That was my suggestion, yes. But either way I'd say you're most likely biting off way more than you can chew if you're not yet that experienced with Motion. In which case the task would be fairly easy. But still fiddly to get it to look good. You might not want to overdo it until you're actually comfortable with Motion.

- RK

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:27:15 am

Jupp, you`re probably right RK. This is the part of the learning prosess, and I can do it if I just set a camera as top leve, and make individual keyframes for that camera.

Just curious how you can use the beziers keyframes for the camerea after the duplicaton?

Could I actually just set a camera, and copy the keyframe attributes to it?

Anyway, thank you - this will probably be easy in a couple of months (-:

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:39:44 am

[Morten Slemdal] "Just curious how you can use the beziers keyframes for the camerea after the duplicaton?"

There's a "Motion Path" behaviour that you can apply to the camera and use the existing path as its "Geometry".

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]