Motion 4
on Oct 20, 2014 at 6:40:46 pm

Motion 4 does not seem to be compatible with Yosemite
anyone one else notice that its not working

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
Re: Motion 4
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:16:34 pm

I responded to this same issue elsewhere, but just so you know, YES, Yosemite is incompatible with Motion 4. FCP7/Motion4 apparently don't work past OSX 10.6.8.

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24GB memory - OSX10.6.8 FCP7

Return to posts index

Jim Rivera
on Oct 24, 2014 at 3:13:29 pm

FCP 7/Motion 4 worked fine for me in Mavericks 10.9.5
Not till I upgraded to Yosemite did Motion 4 stop working
And FCP 7 is still working fine

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Oct 24, 2014 at 3:18:50 pm

@ Jim: That's interesting to know. It's possible that my hardware constraints were also an issue. It looks like several people may have problems with Motion4 and Yosemite. I think that when I upgrade, it will be both hardware and software simultaneously.

Were you running FCP7 along with Motion5? I was told that FCP7+M5 didn't work together so I never upgraded to M5...

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24GB memory - OSX10.6.8 FCP7

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 24, 2014 at 4:03:43 pm

[Ann Clark] "I was told that FCP7+M5 didn't work together so I never upgraded to M5..."

From what I remember hearing you could not send any part of your timeline from FCP 7 or any earlier version to Motion 5 with the "Send To Motion" command.

Curious as to why some are still holding on to FCP 7 and not giving FCP X and Motion 5 a try. Yes, it is different in many ways but the workflow feels so much more fluid.

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Oct 24, 2014 at 6:46:47 pm

@ David: Yes, the round-trip issue is a big one for people who use Motion as an every-day go-to tool. As I my have mentioned, we keep an FCP7 suite for certain projects.

Not to beat a dead horse (this has been discussed a lot already) - but since you asked...

Why people don't take advantage of the wonders of FCPX is probably two-fold.

1. Legacy FCP7 projects (in my business, many, many projects, and yes, the materials get refreshed and reused) and 2. Cost to upgrade, which includes hardware, software, compatible plugins, and of course, training.

A third issue may be a bit of resentment that Apple seemed to have screwed those people with a long-term loyalty to Apple and FCP7. There was a tremendous wash out of small video houses during the recession, and perhaps the survivors don't want to spend the money to start over with a whole new system when their business is so diminished. I was reading a book the other day, where this editor lost his last client in the recession, and had to sell his Macs and his copy of FCP to pay rent. So - I try to hold off on criticizing people for not upgrading. Hey, at least they might still be working editors. :-)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:00:05 pm

Those are very valid reasons. I was not out to criticize anyone and certainly hope that I did not come across this way as it was not my intention.

Return to posts index

Jim Rivera
on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:59:41 pm

FCP 7
Yes i was using FCP 7 / Motion 4 on a 2011 iMac with Mavericks and all worked fine
as soon as I updated to Yosemite, Motion 4 said this software is incompatible with this version of OS X
I tried motion 5 and has been said you can no longer use "send to"
you have to export a Quicktime file then import that into FCP 7

To David
FCP X
I just can't get use to no Tracks
Making M&E and M&E&D tracks is a pain

Return to posts index

David Heil
on Feb 4, 2015 at 3:32:41 am

Can you open Motion 4 files in Motion 5 and just export them as QuickTimes? I'm making the transition to Adobe (because of the general forcing to FCX) and I can't convert the files to After Effects, so exporting basic templates to quick time is my last resort.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]