APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 4 compatible with Adobe Premiere CC?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter MarsayMotion 4 compatible with Adobe Premiere CC?
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 10:38:19 am

Hello, I work with Motion 4 graphics in FCP7... hoping to switch to Adobe Premiere CC sometime soon, but ideally don't want to have to rebuild my graphics from scratch. So the question is, does anyone know whether templates created in Apple Motion 4 can be used or easily converted for use in Adobe Premiere CC? Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Robin S. KurzRe: Motion 4 compatible with Adobe Premiere CC?
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 11:23:08 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jul 17, 2014 at 11:23:27 am

No, they can't. FCP X would be the way to go.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Motion 4 compatible with Adobe Premiere CC?
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:59:25 pm

I switched to Adobe and I'm glad I did. It is much better for my situation. That being said, I'm not aware of a way to make motion to AE files work. You can use Automatic Duck, but they no longer make the software because the creator now works for Adobe. Because of that the software is now free but not updated: http://www.automaticduck.com/products/piae/ Obviously it wont convert everything. The reality is, you can still export out your Motion file as a Pro Res file and import it into Premiere. When I switched I just switched. So all "Legacy" projects where done in FCP/Motion and all new projects where done in Premiere/AE and after a year it became very rare to open up FCP. I had one client that I work with a lot and just rebuilt the graphics in AE that I use over and over.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2014 at 3:07:06 pm

Actually, AD would be of no use, since it doesn't do Motion files, never has. And just on a side note, Wes Plate is (if I'm not mistaken) not with Adobe anymore and is ironically an adamant FCP X editor. Go figure. :-D

If you want the files to remain editable within your NLE (to any degree you wish and exponentially more than in conjunction with 7), FCP X is your only way. Otherwise, yes, you can (only) render them out as clips and use those in whatever other NLE you choose.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Motion 4 compatible with Adobe Premiere CC?
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 3:21:57 pm

[Robin]

Actually, AD would be of no use, since it doesn't do Motion files, never has.

Did you click on the link I posted? It says, "Translating a sequence from an AvidĀ® or Final Cut Pro 7 editing system, or a project from Apple's Motion takes just seconds, importing all your media and clips in one step." It also list all of things it will move from Motion to AE.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2014 at 3:38:09 pm

My bad. I thought you were talking about the Pro Import FCP.

Return to posts index

Jay CederholmRe: Motion 4 compatible with Adobe Premiere CC?
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:10:28 pm

I have actually had luck dropping a Motion 4 file into the timeline of Premiere Pro CC.
You can even right click and select Edit Original to open Motion, change it, and have it update in the PP timeline. Unfortunately this is NOT the case with Motion 5 files...you must export a file from Motion 5 to use in PP timeline.

Jay Cederholm

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:18:48 pm

If installed on the same system, Motion 4 files will be recognized and treated as movie files in various applications, yes.

Return to posts index

Peter MarsayRe: Motion 4 compatible with Adobe Premiere CC?
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:54:03 pm

Thank you all very much for your helpful responses. Looks like I'll need to rebuild things in AE if I upgrade, as I'm not keen on the FCPX route. Cheers :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]