APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Default text color

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Fox
Default text color
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:36:18 pm

Is there any way to change the default text colour?

I am working with the white video base layer and the fact the default text is white slows me down.

Cheers,

T

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Default text color
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:10:25 pm

Simply make your own or edit the one you're using in Motion. That's where the default is defined, not in FCP.

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:15:13 pm

Thanks Robin,

I'm working purely in motion here. When I start typing, the text is white and thus I cannot see what I am doing. If I try and change the style before typing, the type tool deselects. It seems that I can only change style or colour when I have started typing.

All I want is for the text to be a different colour, so that I can see what I am typing. I can change styles later..

My current workaround is to reduce the opacity of the base layer.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:19:42 pm

Call up the HUD tool (F7) and set the color there before you create your shape or whatever - that will then stay as the default till you change it.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:23:07 pm

That is where I get the problem with motion deselecting the text tool. It may well work in shapes but in my current experience, not with text.

Obviously, if I make the change after typing, it goes back to "Normal" the next time I use the type tool..

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:26:06 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Call up the HUD tool (F7) and set the color there before you create your shape or whatever - that will then stay as the default till you change it."

Nope, that won't in fact work with text, only shapes and others. That's what I was thinking would/should happen, too. But...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:37:17 pm

My mistake - didn't read the post properly.

The simple way of doing this would be to make the chosen text color/style whatever into a Favorite and save it to the library. I can't recommend Favorites strongly enough. Huge time saver.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:43:15 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "would be to make the chosen text color/style whatever into a Favorite"

Good tip. Probably your best workaround at this point, even if it means more clicking and not being quite as convenient. Since you'd have to drag the favorite from the library to the canvas (or select it from the Favorites menu) every time first, instead of simply using the text tool. OR you could give it a shortcut, seeing that it resides in the "Favorites" menu after being defined. :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:47:14 pm

You could always put it in the Favorites Menu and simply pull it down from there - seems pretty quick to me or at least not much more arduous than clicking on the Text Tool.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:51:56 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "You could always put it in the Favorites Menu and simply pull it down from there"

By defining it as a favorite it's already in the menu. ;) (and that was part of my suggestion, yes)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:55:08 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "By defining it as a favorite it's already in the menu."

No, it's not. The Favorites Menu can hold items that you just pull down from the Favorites pulldown that sits between Object and View. Putting something into Favorites does not automatically populate this menu,

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:57:22 pm

Ah! Sorry. You're right. My bad. "Favorites" and "Favorites Menu" are two different folders. Throw it in the latter then it (obviously) shows up, yes.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:04:10 pm

Quite a handy trick. I think I might adopt it myself for text as it's useful to be able to start from a custom base.

Of course, as you will know, but others may not, you can store almost anything in Favorites, including really complex groups. Very useful if you frequently use similar set-ups.

The only thing to be aware of is that the length will be the length of the project you save from - this often catches me out, so it's best to make a project that's decently long before you export to Favorites.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:51:59 pm

Thank Simon and Robin,

I like that favourites method. For me, I think that, for pure mass data entry purposes (I am doing a lot of titles on this edit) the opacity workaround works quite well.

Thanks again,

cheers,

T

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 8, 2014 at 11:58:52 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jul 8, 2014 at 12:45:46 pm

[Tom Fox] "I like that favourites method. For me, I think that, for pure mass data entry purposes (I am doing a lot of titles on this edit) the opacity workaround works quite well."

All a matter of personal taste, I suppose, and what works for you is always the best way of doing it of course, but unless you are happy with the size, justification, tracking, line spacing, position, style, etc. of the Apple default, using the Favorite method is likely to be a huge timesaver.

In fact, I'm very glad you brought this point up because I will be using it from now on. It's great to be able to instantly access a preset for a given client or project. I can't believe I didn't think of working this way before.

Here's an example of a display style that I've saved as a preset:

And here's the Favorites Menu where I can just grab it instantly any time I want in any project, and then of course edit it in any way I want:

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:19:10 pm

Oh, sorry. You're already in Motion, huh? :-D Got confused with which forum I was in.

Interesting question. I just played with it a bit, but it would seem that you can't edit or replace the "Normal" preset nor redefine the default one, which I would have thought would be the way to go.

I'll have to play with it a bit and see if I can figure something out, because I can recall having a similar problem, too. Maybe Mark knows something I'm not thinking of in the meantime? :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]