APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Text made of "lights" - 3D?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Bass
Text made of "lights" - 3D?
on May 17, 2014 at 9:21:28 am

Arrrrrgghhhh. So close. I almost have this one, but it's not quite there and the experiment are crashing motion, so I figured I'd come here.

Using Motion 4/FCS 3, trying to text of my last name out of "lights". . .supposed to be like glowing stage lights or something. Surely you've seen something like that in a music video. I got the basics down, chose font, use one of the blur pngs with colorize and glow, replicate/image fill/text as image well, looks pretty good in 2D, not trying to make it 3D so it can rotate slowly or something. Made another replicator with the first group/replicator as the cell, chose 3D, box fill, 1 row/1 column, using # of ranks to fill out the depth. Of course this crashes the living crap out of Motion, but more to the point the dots/lights/blur PNGs still look 2D 'cause in 3D, they're still facing the "front" of the composition. Is there a way to make JUST the replicator cell "always face camera" (not the whole layer)? That would solve it.

Or, am I asking too much of Motion here? Have access to After Effects CS6 and Blender, though I"m not really familiar with AFX and completely unfamiliar with Blender.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Text made of "lights" - 3D?
on May 17, 2014 at 11:31:38 am

Well, for one, you'll at minimum want to upgrade to Motion 5, seeing that Motion 4 is a mere 32bit app. So your crashes will most likely be memory related. Aside from that, I'd say you be better off trying either mObject or even Titler Pro. It should be a (comparative) cinch with either, plus the title would in fact be in 3D.

http://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-33.html#7
http://www.newbluefx.com/tp3l/tp3

Return to posts index

Josh Bass
on May 17, 2014 at 11:40:34 am

Can you have Mo 5 and 4 on same system with no issues? I work with the FCS3 suite quite a lot and have no desire right now to upgrade to FCPX and all its associated apps, though I realize 5 is like $50.

I will look at the links you posted but this is a personal (i.e. no budget) project so would prefer to find a non-spending-money way to accomplish this if at all possible.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 17, 2014 at 1:57:37 pm

Yes. Installing FCP X or M5 will simply put your old apps into a new folder called Final Cut Studio. 5 isn't compatible with 7, no. But you can run/install both on the same system. For a "Send to" from 7 you'd have to start v4 first.

Aside from that, I personally don't know of a way to do what you describe. That is if it fact also doesn't work in v5.

Return to posts index

Josh Bass
on May 17, 2014 at 6:08:07 pm

Thanks. Anyway, I'm an idiot. The "face camera" option DOES apply to the replicator cells/elements. I was thinking it applied to the whole layer for some reason. So problem already solved, minus the crash issue.

Also found some tutorials that explain how to do it in Blender, but I'm going to try it in MOtion first since the Blender method has its own set of issues for me.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 17, 2014 at 6:26:16 pm

If your machine is underpowered in processor or GFX card, it could be the glow filter which is pretty processor intensive. I would recommend instead using two pngs, one smaller than the other with a ADD blend mode applied. You can even stack 3-4 of them together and get a pretty decent light illusion without using the glow filter.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Josh Bass
on May 17, 2014 at 6:53:56 pm

It's not a super high power machine. . .2011 Imac maxxed out (8 GB RAM though). I will try your suggestion later on, thanks.

Return to posts index

Josh Bass
on May 17, 2014 at 7:43:03 pm

Bah. Two issues. . .the "add" mode makes it too "hot". I realize I can control this with the opacity of one of the duplicates, but it's still not quite the right look. The glow has more texture/definition, add just creates a solid circle.

Also, even though on the initial text the replicator cells always face cam, since I have to use that entire replicator as the cell for the next one, to make it 3D, I can't use the "face camera" option or the whole text always faces the camera since it is now the "cell." So close.

Maybe instead of another replicator, make the "ranks" from duplicate layers, put em in a group?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 17, 2014 at 9:09:04 pm

You post a picture of the look are trying to achieve, I'm willing to bet I can get it for you without the glow effect.

Secondly, you probably only need a single 3-D replicator to do what you're trying to do.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Josh Bass
on May 18, 2014 at 1:02:43 am
Last Edited By Josh Bass on May 18, 2014 at 1:04:16 am

I can't find one that shows the 3D-ness, but here's the basic idea. Just imagine that if you turned the word/letters you'd see the same thing making up the sides as the front. And I hadn't gotten to animating/sequencing the individual particles/replicator cells, or the overall glow. Still trying to figure out the basics of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]