APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion FCPX effect

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans DoumaMotion FCPX effect
by on May 11, 2014 at 7:26:23 pm

Hi,

I have a question about the timing of an effect created by Motion 5 for FCPX.

What I want is an effect, that starts of with the clip scaled and positioned in the left bottom corner, then scale up to 100% and position centered, followed by scale down and move to the bottom right corner.

In the Motion effect I applied keyframes to the scale and position parameters and inside Motion it works fine. Then I added a build-in marker to the end of the first scale down/position left (so to the beginning of the 100% scale/centered position) and a build-out marker to the beginning of the scale down/position right (so the end of the 100%scale/centered position)
According to the manual everything between the build-in and build-out markers should be stretched to match the duration of the FCPX clip, the effect is applied to.

This in my case does not happen. It looks like the markers are ignored altogether and the effect has the native Motion duration.

What do I do wrong ?

Return to posts index

Andy NeilRe: Motion FCPX effect
by on May 11, 2014 at 9:23:17 pm

Can you upload the project (minus media)? Based on your explanation, it should work.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Hans DoumaRe: Motion FCPX effect
by on May 12, 2014 at 6:24:42 am

Hi Andy,

Thanks for answering. Sure I can send you the template. Where do I send it to ?

Hans

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2014 at 6:28:21 am

Just click the file upload button in the reply box and upload the project there. Just make sure there's no media involved so that it uploads quickly.

Andy

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2014 at 10:31:42 am

Additional information: I have saved the effect under several names (so actually created a clone) and each time I apply the newt saved effect, it behaves differently. E.g. it rushes through the effect and then repeats itself for the duration of the clip, or instead of playing the clip between the build-in and build-out points, it shows a black screen and the end of the effect is not shown at all.

In the effect version that is repeating itself, I had a Project Loop End marker added, but I removed that and now it still behaving as if the marker is there.

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2014 at 7:15:09 pm

Hi,

I uploaded the template, but don't see it back in the thread. Did you get it ?

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2014 at 7:20:42 pm

When you upload the file, after it finishes, it provides you with a link that you can copy/paste into your text reply. Without that, I can't find your file.

Andy

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2014 at 7:23:49 pm

OK, here it is: 7489_hanstestpip.zip

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2014 at 7:38:02 pm

More additional information: I increased the duration in Motion between the build-in and build-out point and now it appears to be working....
This is strange, because the manual states everything between build-in and build-out is stretched to the clip duration, so the length in Motion should not make any difference. Nevertheless, it does.

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2014 at 9:51:36 pm

Ok, here's what I could tell from your project. Your project is 20 seconds long. And even though you only have about 3 seconds of effect going on there, the build out marker wants to play all 15 or so seconds of blank nothingness after it because that's what you told it to do. The build out marker mandates the fly in and fly out parts of your animation however long they are and in your case it's about 15 seconds. So if you apply the effect to a clip shorter than that, you're going to get weird behavior. And since your effect source layer in Motion is only about 3 seconds long, you're going to get weird behavior no matter what clip you apply it to.

Shortening your project to the length of the animation (approximately 3:15) solves the problem.

Andy

Return to posts index

by on May 13, 2014 at 10:22:29 am

Hi Andy

Thanks for the feedback.

During some additional testing, I shortened the duration to the actual effect duration (so intro>build in>build-out>outtro) and that made no difference. Which is in my view strange, because the part between build-in and build-out should be stretched to the FCPX clip duration. So, in theory, the length of the effect in Motion is irrelevant, as long as you would have at least 1 frame between build-in and build-out. In practice, however, this does not work.

When I increased the duration of the part between build-in/out, though, applying the effect on both longer and shorter clips seems to give the results I want.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

by on May 13, 2014 at 5:01:31 pm

The length of the project CAN make a difference though. It's important to understand why. You're right that the frames between the build in/out markers should scale longer and shorter depending on the length of the clip applied. But the other side to that is the animation OUTSIDE those markers must be played at a 1:1 ratio. In other words, if you have a 600 frame project and your build in marker is at the 30 frame mark and your build out marker is at the 150 frame mark, the frames that must be played at 1:1 are frames 1-29 AND 151-600. That's 16 seconds of material that FCPX must play in your project regardless whether there is media there (in the Motion project) or how long the clip is that you applied it to.

I'm glad you figured out how to make it work.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]