APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Text File Generator

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gene HallText File Generator
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 5:57:01 pm

I wondered if any one here had much experience with the text file generator in Motion 5?

It is showing a behavior that is driving me mad!

I have seen very vague reference to this elsewhere on the internet and am not sure if it a bug or intended. Either way it is stopping me from doing what I need to do and I am desperate for a workaround!!

Essentially I want to display a list of names sequentially and apply keyframes to them which repeat for each entry.

So for example lets just say just a simple scale where the name starts small, gets bigger then dissapears in place of the next name which starts small etc.

I have given the text generator a list of names in plain text with line breaks between and these display sequentially fine except for the fact that the first name in the list is only displayed for half the time of rest!

Is this a bug?

I have speed set to constant on the generator but (i think) because of this behaviour it is getting out of sync when I apply repeat keyframes to the rest of the entries.

Can anybody help?

Return to posts index

Robin S. KurzRe: Text File Generator
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:31:56 pm

I'd have to recreate what you describe to be able to answer to the bug problem, but why not simply make a group with all the names in it cross-fading and simply scale *the group*?

Return to posts index

Gene HallRe: Text File Generator
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:38:50 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean? The generator "groups" all the entries...

Is there another way of doing this that I am missing?

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Text File Generator
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:34:53 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:37:30 pm

There does seem to be an issue that the Constant speed option doesn't get the first caption length right.

Have you tried using the Custom speed mode which allows you to position where you want the changes to take place? Go into the Keyframe editor and set the appropriate keyframes for the changes to happen. Fairly easy to do and gives you just the right result.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Gene HallRe: Text File Generator
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:41:31 pm

I forgot to mention that there could well be up to about 300 entries in the list!
I am assuming that using this method I would have to adjust for each, or can that be automated?

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Text File Generator
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 9:47:08 pm

That's tricky. So you're just wanting to have an even spread?

What I'd do is the following:

Set the speed to Custom.

In the keyframe editor find the spot where the first caption changes to the second caption and set a keyframe.

Move the generator down the timeline far enough to account for the "missing" frames in the first caption.

Extend it back to the start (go to the start, hit "I" on the keyboard).

In the Keyframe editor, move the start keyframe back to zero.

That should take care of it, I think.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]