APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Particles Invert Colors in Final Video

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Topham
Particles Invert Colors in Final Video
on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:35:17 am

I've experienced this issue before and I believe I have solved it just by making sure my codecs are all in line. However, there is an issue with that and I was hoping someone here would have some insight:

I'm using Motion 5.1 and was just doing a quick project in FCP7.
When exporting a video from Motion with 'same as source' selected, the file comes out with the background transparent if the project properties are set that way. But if you choose a codec, the video is given a black background by default.
I had a white slug on the bottom, then the motion exported mov (transparent), then some PNGs made in photoshop with colored text and some images. In this set-up, exported from FCP7 as a quicktime movie, the particles in the motion clip have their colors inverted.
I got around it by exporting a motion clip with the FCP sequence's codec and a solid white background on that motion export. But while that works for this project, it may not for future projects where I don't have a solid background behind my particles.
All input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Particles Invert Colors in Final Video
on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:32:56 am

Sounds to me as if you're simply not using a codec that supports an alpha channel, such as ProRes 4444 or even Animation.

Return to posts index

Steven Topham
on Apr 25, 2014 at 6:27:38 pm

Thanks for your reply. My codec knowledge is limited, so do you mean that ProRes 4444 and Animation support alpha channels and better allow transparent backgrounds, or that they don't?
The codec I was using in FCP was the Apple ProRes 422 (LT).
When exporting from motion, to get a transparent background I used the "same as source" option. I'm not sure how to obtain info on the source codec.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 25, 2014 at 6:33:25 pm

I was saying: The only flavor of ProRes that supports an alpha channel is 4x4. Or optionally the older (and usually larger) Animation codec, yes. Need transparency, then you need either one of those.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:01:52 pm

The Animation codec is no longer supported in Motion 5 (which is what Steven i using) so your only option for transparency is to use ProRes4444.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:28:06 pm

Good point Simon. Thanks for the heads up! Keep forgetting about that legacy codec thing in Mavericks (although MY machine/Motion *does* still "support" it ;) )

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:49:29 pm

Why a shame? Animation files are generally (often A LOT) larger than 4x4's. Even though I could, I wouldn't use it.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:11:34 pm

Erm... but if they can read Animation, they have Quicktime. If they have Quicktime... they can read ProRes... ;)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:19:26 pm

So... PRE ProRes? Okay, sure. That was pretty much your only option, yes.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:55:03 pm

Well, unless you're over 50, you ain't got me beat. ;)

Return to posts index

Steven Topham
on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:21:47 pm

Thanks so much Robin!
I also found this to study up on for anyone else who may stumble on this thread: https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkfl...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]