APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Exchanging colour corrections between FCP7 and Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Exchanging colour corrections between FCP7 and Motion
on Apr 15, 2014 at 2:44:44 pm

Unless I've missed something, there's no way to exchange colour corrections between FCP7 and Motion without exporting. So if I apply colour corrections in FCP7 and then want to work on that video in Motion, I have to export it to a new QT, and then bring that QT into Motion?

Similarly, if I apply colour corrections in Motion and want the rest of the video in my FCP project to match, there's no way to transfer the Motion colour correction filter setting to FCP? I just have to export the FCP footage into a single QT, bring it into Motion, copy the filters, and re-export back to FCP?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Exchanging colour corrections between FCP7 and Motion
on Apr 15, 2014 at 2:50:20 pm

Unfortunately Color correction filters do not round trip from FCP 7 to Motion. This was one of the biggest things that bugged me about round tripping with these programs. You are correct that you'll have to export out a new Quicktime movie, it is called "Baking".

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:25:46 pm

Bummer. I figured as much, but wondered if maybe there was some trick I didn't know about.

BTW, have you left Motion behind now, Stephen? Shame if so, I learned a lot from your tutorials.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:41:33 pm

[Gareth]
BTW, have you left Motion behind now, Stephen? Shame if so, I learned a lot from your tutorials.

Thanks for the kind words about my tutorials. Since FCPX I switched over to Adobe Premiere Pro. Since PPro round trips (Dynamic Links) with After Effects and I never stopped using After Effects it was only natural for me to only use PPro and AE except for our old projects that we are updating that where done in FCP and Motion. Most color correction filters round trip from PPro to AE which is really cool.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]