APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Many Animations in a Single Video

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Cook
Many Animations in a Single Video
on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:59:22 pm

Looking for advice to do this as efficiently as possible in Motion 5. I think this could get really messy if I let it. I need to animate all 159 Georgia counties as shown in this video sample:

(Logos and stuff are blocked out because I'm being sub-contracted and I don't know what needs to be private. And I do realize this will look terrible once the map is all filled in. I have no say in that.)

How would you do this most efficiently? All counties in one Motion project? Each county individually then 159 clips combined in FCPX? My main concern is bogging down Motion. Will that likely happen? Below is what my timeline looks like with 5 counties. I created the 1st animation, then duplicated the group, moved it over in time, replaced county images, adjusted the starting position, and changed final position on the map. Oh, I'll likely also need to include county name titles which will add an additional 159 layers.

I appreciate any advice you might offer.

My system:
Early 2011 MacBook Pro
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
120gb SSD system drive + 500gb HD
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB VRAM
External FW800 drive

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Many Animations in a Single Video
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:26:46 pm

With 159 counties (meaning 159 layers), Motion is bound to slow down if they're all visible at the same time. So what I'd do in this circumstance is create manageable groups of 5-10 layers that I can turn off when I'm finished animating. Here's what it'd look like:

10 layers of pngs. One png for each of 10 counties. Enclosed in a group called Group 01 (for lack of a better descriptor). Animate the layers, twirl up the group to hide the layers and turn off the group. Total of 16 groups in your layers panel but only one group is on at a time until you're ready to export. Then turn them all on and render out.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:41:08 pm

This should work great. Thanks Andy!

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:37:43 pm

Another question: This will be used for some sort of presentation where all 159 county commissioners' names will be called out and I believe each one will walk up (I'm imagining it'll be like a graduation maybe?) So this video will have to synch up with the pace of that, which means it'll have to start and stop. Someone could just man the spacebar and start and stop it between individual animations, but if they let it go too long they could end up pausing in the middle of the next animation and make for a messy presentation. Is there a way to have it play one and stop at defined points? Then a single button press to play the next one, etc? Sort of like slides...powerpoint style. Using chapter markers perhaps? I don't think Quicktime player has the ability to stop at chapter markers, does it?

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Mar 21, 2014 at 8:00:08 pm

NEVER MIND! They are going to just let it play through. But if anyone has an awesome solution for the above that they want to share, go ahead.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:56:14 pm

Maybe you make one template for the move, and use it to make 159 separate tracks, each with the art and template modified to hit the right spot, and each with a pause of about a minute. Put a chapter marker on each. If this was a DVD, advancing the remote with the chapter button takes you to the next, when you want, but since you are starting and ending the move from a static position in each clip, it might seem seamless. The question is if you can fit 159 markers into one DVD or not - I think the limit might be 100 or less, would have to check. If playing from an FCPX timeline on a laptop at the venue, this no longer becomes an issue, as all 159 clips could be laid into one timeline.

If I was building something like this i would start with all the counties in their final spots and work backwards from there. I haven't made one with THAt many pieces, but the last similar thing I did in motion 4, I made each element one layer of a single photoshop file and then manipulated the layers in Motion to make and explosion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]