APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

duplicating keyframes

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Fox
duplicating keyframes
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:33:55 pm

Hi there,

I hope that the answer to this is really simple...

Let us say that I have an object (or actually a camera in the case I am working on) and it has two keyframes (k1 and k3 - see by ascii "art" below) with numerous different parameters (position xyz, rotation, blur whatever) and I want to make a 3rd keyframe (k2) between them that has all the same parameters as the first one (k1).

I have trying copying and pasting in the keyframe editor, which I seem to have to do parameter by parameter (surely there is a more simple way) but even then it puts easing curves between them thereby creating a movement that begins and ends in the same place. In order to freeze the animation, I then have to go back and remove all the curves.

How can I essentially "lock" the camera for a number of frames before beginning the movement?

k1----k2(added)----k3

Bear in mind that I added k2 after changing mind when I looked at the animation between k1 and k3 and ALSO that the animation began before k1.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: duplicating keyframes
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:40:22 pm

If you set the view in the Keyframe editor to Animated, then you'll see all parameters with keyframes. Easy to select them all at one frame by dragging a marquee around them, copy, move the playhead, paste. Then, to fix the movement between them, reselect the first set, right-click on them, and set the Interpolation to Constant.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:57:35 pm

Thanks Mark,

All your Macbreak studio stuff has been a godsend. I will be purchasing some of your ripple training which, if your publicly available stuff is anything to go must be super stuff. If you are ever in London (before they sink from all the rain w'eve been getting) then I would love to buy you a drink.

Your answer is far easier than what I was doing in that I didn't realise you could just move the playhead and paste. That and I was changing the interpretation to linear as opposed to constant (is the answer to "what is the difference between them" in your "getting started" tutorial?)

Nonetheless, for the sake of simplicity it would be nice to have some sort of "duplicate state" command in Motion.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 16, 2014 at 10:01:36 pm

[Tom Fox] "what is the difference between them"

Linear interpolation means that the animation changes a consistent amount between one keyframe and the next with no easing at all. Constant means that there is no animation at all between keyframes. The value remains the same as the first keyframe until it encounters another keyframe at a different value and then the layer "jumps" to the new keyframe value.

In your case, Linear or Constant should both accomplish the same thing between a set of keyframes that are identical in value.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
on Mar 16, 2014 at 10:04:02 pm

Thanks Andy :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]