APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Smart Objects From Photoshop

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Smart Objects From Photoshop
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:46:48 pm

Greetings! I plan to do a kinetic typography project soon. I know that Motion will not acknowledge layer masks and things of that nature. The layout will be done inside of Photoshop which will include the background, text and some effects. Is it possible for me to convert any object with a layer mask into a smart object so that Motion will bring it in? How well does Motion handle these type of things? Thank you in advance.

P.S. A layer mask will be added to some of the text. I plan to the text as an image mask for some other Photoshop layers, but plan to do this in Motion to allow for a more flexible workflow.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Smart Objects From Photoshop
on Mar 16, 2014 at 10:06:35 pm

I'm pretty sure that Motion doesn't recognize smart objects either. Usually if I'm using masks in Photoshop and I need to work in Motion, I'll stamp the affected layer to a new layer which is rasterized and Motion will read fine. However, this can lead to a complicated workflow if you're making lots of changes to the original file in PS.

For ease, I'd be tempted in your situation just to use AE (provided you have it of course).

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]