APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Best workflow for making lyrics videos in Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim KehoeBest workflow for making lyrics videos in Motion
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 7:33:47 am

Hey guys!

I am trying to make a lyric video in Motion and wanted to know if anyone had an idea on a proper workflow. Right now I am creating separate groups for every couple words or so. For example, if the singer says "Gonna Party This Evening Like that dude Pearce Fireball Cleaveland" Group 1 would have the layers "Gonna" as one layer, then "Party" as another layer "This" as another layer and "Evening" as the final layer. And then and I am creating another separate group for "Like" "That" "Dude" "Pearce" "Fireball" "Cleaveland" same type of separate layers per word. From there I am moving each word around and playing with it.

I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions whether this a good way to make lyric videos or if anyone has any better ideas on how to do this, i do not see any lyric video tutorials online or on YouTube, i see a lot for After Effects but none for Motion 5. I have not got into animating the words just yet as I am beginning Motion 5 tonight LOL!

At the end of the day I want to make lyric videos similar to Cee-Lo Green's "F--k You" video. link is here:

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Andy NeilRe: Best workflow for making lyrics videos in Motion
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 8:32:16 am

What you're talking about is called Motion Typography. If you google that, you'll find a number of tutorials on it (although I don't know if any of them are for Motion). But you don't always have to make each word separate. That'll make hundreds of layers and will slow Motion to an absolute crawl, I'm sure. Without getting into the specifics of how you'd complete a Motion Typographic video, I have two suggestions.

First, break the video into pieces. This will take some planning, but trying to do a 3-4 minute song with hundreds of layers of text will become unwieldy quickly.

Second, if a line of text will have the same kind of animation (like a scale up for example), you can write the entire line of text in a single layer and then apply a sequence text behavior to animate the individual words into place. This is how I'd do it.

Good luck.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jim KehoeRe: Best workflow for making lyrics videos in Motion
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 8:52:25 am

Hey Andy!

Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking that too, rather than having hundreds of layers. I will keep playing with stuff.

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Best workflow for making lyrics videos in Motion
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 3:34:17 pm

Here's a tutorial on that subject:
http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/apple-pro-apps-tutorials/motion-5-...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2014 at 8:05:25 pm

Hi mark!

I must say quite an honor to hear from you! You're a wizard with this stuff! I watched a bunch of your free tutorial last night, the dancing text one. I also saw you guys sell a "mastering motion text" tutorial as well for $49. I cannot afford that one right now but you were saying the tutorial you replied with for $29 will teach me how to make lyric videos? Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Best workflow for making lyrics videos in Motion
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 8:07:10 pm

Watch the preview videos and look at the detailed table of contents, this will give you a very accurate feel for what's included.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2014 at 8:13:31 pm

The kinetic text tutorial looks like what I need... I'd like to get the mastering text too just can't afford it yet. Help a brother out mark lol - just kidding you guys are amazing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]