APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Photoshop and Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David MathisPhotoshop and Motion
by on Jan 25, 2014 at 10:56:26 pm

I am looking to create a lower third for my videos and part of that process will be using Photoshop combined with Motion as part of the workflow. I just have a couple of quick, basic questions.

I will be using an HD format of 1920 by 1080 to create the lower third in Photoshop then use the same preset inside of Motion so everything is fine. I will want to use this as a template for use inside of FCP X and was wondering if it safe to go this way. I might be working with everything between HD and 4K hoping that saving it out as a template hoping it will be not be an issue. What should I take into consideration going this way? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Photoshop and Motion
by on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:26:39 pm

[David Mathis] "I will be using an HD format of 1920 by 1080 to create the lower third in Photoshop then use the same preset inside of Motion so everything is fine. I will want to use this as a template for use inside of FCP X and was wondering if it safe to go this way. I might be working with everything between HD and 4K hoping that saving it out as a template hoping it will be not be an issue. What should I take into consideration going this way? Any help is greatly appreciated."

There is no reason why the first part shouldn't work just fine.

Of course as regards the second part, you will be losing resolution if you use a 1080 Photoshop image in a 4K project.

But then, I'm sure you realise that.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. KurzRe: Photoshop and Motion
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:04:08 am

Is there a reason why you want to do it in PS? Just habit, or is there something in particular you need that Motion can't supply? Only because there are of course a few caveats to keep in mind. Such as the fact that Motion won't recognize layer groups, masks, layer effects etc. Setting and importing the type in/from PS will obviously lead to rasterizing, which wouldn't be the best quality choice, aside from obviously not being editable anymore. I'd say, especially if you plan on using it as a template for various resolutions (I'm assuming in FCP), you're best doing as much as possible from within Motion and maybe just importing certain graphic elements from PS.

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: Photoshop and Motion
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:47:28 pm

Thank you Robin and Simon for taking the time to answer my question. I find that doing some work inside of Photoshop is easier and allows for some more flexibility. I will use Motion for the text as changes will often be necessary. Thank you again for answering my questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]