APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

New Motion 5 Tutorial - Keying without using the Apple Keyer

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
New Motion 5 Tutorial - Keying without using the Apple Keyer
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:21:26 pm

... for when Apple's built-in keyer doesn't do the job properly. (And with all due respect to Apple, that's a lot of the time, unfortunately.)

Hopefully there are some useful tips in there - it shows you how to build your own keyer and spill suppressor entirely from scratch without accessing any third party tools.

Worth knowing about if only to get a better understanding of how keying works beyond the sliders of your favorite keying package - even if that's something fancy like Keylight or Ultimatte.

The more you know about the fundamentals of keying the better your keys are going to look.

Part Two, when I get around to finishing it, will show you how create procedural garbage mattes and execute basic light wrap techniques - plus some other hopefully interesting stuff.

All the best,

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Don Eitner
Re: New Motion 5 Tutorial - Keying without using the Apple Keyer
on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:21:01 am

Wow! Thank you for sharing this, Simon. It's still a bit over my head (I've not needed to work with green screen yet) but your results look very impressive.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:01:47 am

Thanks, Don.

It may look a bit daunting (especially if you're not that familiar with keying) but the upside is that if you do follow along through to the end, you've built yourself a pretty powerful keyer than you can re-use again and again.

It won't be the perfect solution to every keying situation, but then no single keyer ever is - but it's certainly useful to know about.

And hopefully you've learned some useful stuff about the principles of keying which will always stand you in good stead. So many users simply push the sliders around on their favourite keyer without really knowing what's going on and wonder why they can't get a perfect result.

Thanks for watching :)

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Don Eitner
on Jan 24, 2014 at 12:23:19 am
Last Edited By Don Eitner on Jan 24, 2014 at 12:24:12 am

To your point about reusing the keyer, would you just keep it in a .motn project file and when you need it copy & paste it out as a group into whatever other project you're working on?

Or could you save the keyer group to the Library so it's always ready?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 24, 2014 at 12:21:41 pm

[Don Eitner] "To your point about reusing the keyer, would you just keep it in a .motn project file and when you need it copy & paste it out as a group into whatever other project you're working on?

Or could you save the keyer group to the Library so it's always ready?"

Both your routes would work depending on what you find most convenient - copying to the library is certainly a good idea.

Personally, I'd be likely to do it a different way again and that's to save the project to your User/Movies/Motion Templates/Compositions folder. That way whenever you open it you are automatically working on a duplicate of the original project and don't risk accidentally over-writing it.

Since I prefer to work on keying shots in isolation (to keep everything neat and tidy and as lean as possible), I'd be more likely to bring the background and foreground materials I needed into the master Keyer Project rather than copying the keyer project elements into a different more complex project.

(Don't forget also that you can now very easily have multiple Motion projects open at the same time.)

But it's just a matter of what works for you.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]