APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Sequence Text with precise timing per word?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valentin FuhrerSequence Text with precise timing per word?
by on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:54:43 pm

Hi All,

I'm working on a lyric video using Motion.
I want to be able to have every word appear in-rhythm as the song plays.

Currently, I'm using a separate layer for each word, and nesting groups so things don't get to crazy-busy with the hundreds of layers.

It's easy to get the timing of each word spot-on this way, but it introduces a whole slew of other disadvantages. (see below)

I though of using sequence text instead, but can't figure out how to get every word timed properly. Easy enough to speed up or slow down the rate at which words appear - per line - but that doesn't come close to getting the words to appear in rhythm with the song.

I'd love to hear any alternative ideas. I feel like I must be missing something simple and obvious - lol

If one word per layer is the way to go, is there any way to properly position all the words in a line?
With each word as a separate object, positioning the words horizontally is tough. It's hard to just eyeball the adjustments, and if I decide to change the font size, I have to reposition everything.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Valentin
artist, producer, ninja

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Sequence Text with precise timing per word?
by on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:38:00 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:40:33 pm

One method you could try is using the Text Type on option and animating the values to get the words to come on when you want.

Make sure you have Fade In turned off.

Keyframe the start and end of your animation for the line of text setting the end value to 100%.

In the keyframe editor, set the interpolation method to Constant.

Go to where you want your first word to appear and set a keyframe - the for safety move the playhead a few frames later so you can make sure you are doing the right thing. Drag the keyframe you've just made upwards till the whole of the first word has written on.

Go to where the next word needs to appear and do the same thing.

It's quite a quick way to work and you might find it helpful.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Valentin FuhrerRe: Sequence Text with precise timing per word?
by on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:53:49 pm

Thanks so much - works perfectly ( I actually used Fade-In words behavior in my project - but your approach works great!)

Would you happen to know if there is any way to import a text file such that each line of text goes to a separate layer? It would save me a huge amount of time (maybe)

Also wondering if there is a way to change text attributes (font, size etc) for a whole bunch of layers or groups at once.

Thanks!

Valentin

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Sequence Text with precise timing per word?
by on Jan 19, 2014 at 10:26:02 am

There's no way to do the text import that you want as far as I know.

But you can change the parameters of multiple text layers (not groups) very easily by shift-selecting the ones you want to change and altering the parameters of just one instance.

The only exception that I know of is that it doesn't work with text alignment, but font. color, tracking, all that stuff works just fine.

A very powerful feature of Motion. It applies to any two objects that share the same parameters.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Valentin FuhrerRe: Sequence Text with precise timing per word?
by on Jan 19, 2014 at 4:04:17 pm

Awesome, once again. You rock!

I'm wondering if I can script something to create a new layer and cut/paste per line of text from a file.

I'll have to check it out when I have a little time. (been a while since I applescripted something - lol)

Thanks again!

V

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]