APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Floor-less Reflection

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Floor-less Reflection
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:20:59 pm

There is a technique of creating of creating what I call 'floor-less' reflection that involved cloning a layer, flipping it and putting a rectangle over the clone and changing its fill to gradient and putting it into an image mask applied to the clone. Yada yada yada.

It seems that somewhere I heard that its much simpler to get a reflection without putting in a reflective floor using Motion 5.

Is that true or is it wishful thinking?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Floor-less Reflection
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:49:56 pm

I think I remember seeing something about that too, maybe Macbreak Studio? I'll try to remember...

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:18:37 pm

Duplicate the image, flip it upside down, move it to the bottom of the original and blend with a feathered mask and opacity?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:34:01 pm

[Don Smith] "There is a technique of creating of creating what I call 'floor-less' reflection that involved cloning a layer, flipping it and putting a rectangle over the clone and changing its fill to gradient and putting it into an image mask applied to the clone. Yada yada yada."

That's the only way that I would know of without the use of an actual reflective object. Otherwise you could try using a white "floor" for the reflection and then applying it with a composite mode such as Overlay over your backplate, if that's what it is you're looking to do.

- RK

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:32:23 am

So, you're looking for a way to create a reflection that doesn't use either of those techniques?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 18, 2013 at 9:05:33 am

Or a drop shadow like in the Dramatic title in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 18, 2013 at 10:27:53 am

Andy… Yes. I sometimes need the reflection as if a floor is there but without a floor object to block the background. There's the old technique as I describe in my OP but I thought I had heard somewhere along the way that you could achieve that reflection in the newest Motion without using a floor object and without the complexity hoops of the original technique.

It must have been a hallucination! :)

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 14, 2014 at 5:38:10 pm

I'm still stuck in Motion 4 but seem to remember it has a "reflection" filter somewhere, might be M5 does too. I've manually made reflectives like this, in the way you've described, but the free plug-in from Noise Industries, called cover flow or cover flux, seems like an easy to customize starting point. Maybe you can modify that into a template that is re-useable for you?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 14, 2014 at 5:41:57 pm

Reflections are easy to do in Motion 4 with its built in reflection feature. Take a look at this tutorial: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/smith_stephen/reflection_4.php

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]