APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

export from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irene Driessenexport from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:57:05 am

Hi,

I tried to search for this problem but I probably didn't get the right keywords.
I'm trying to use a Motion template (in Motion 5) with some dropboxes in which I've dropped pieces of .mov that work fine on their own. Inside Motion they seem to work fine too, but when I export a Quicktime from Motion and load it into FCP or FCPX (have tried both) the video parts have awful flicker (it looks terrible). The animation parts seem to work fine, very fluently.

What is wrong here, which approach should I take? Your help greatly appreciated, as always!
Irene

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: export from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 8:22:12 am

Does your project frame rate match that of your source footage?

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Irene DriessenRe: export from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 8:46:12 am

Hmmmmm, no, it doesn't. Template I've found says 29.97, my footage is 25p. So the first thing I tried (since I couldn't change the framerate of the template) was a new project with framerate 25 and copying everything in it. Unfortunately this was not the right option (still flickers). So now I'm trying to change my source footage to 29.97, only: how am I going to do that... FCPX doesn't allow it.

Oh wait: maybe Compressor?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:09:01 am

... ok ... tried that but unfortunately that didn't work either. Now all fps rates are the same but I still got the flicker.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion, sounded very plausible!

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: export from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:47:05 pm

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. Is your footage interlaced as this also could cause problems? Is this a template that you made yourself or is it a third party one?

BTW for future reference you can change the frame rate of a Motion project after the event. Simply open the motion file in a text editor, search for Frame Rate in order to find the following line:

parameter name="Frame Rate" id="107" flags="8589934592" default="0" value="30"

Simply type in a new value where it says value (in this case you would change the number 30 to your frame rate of 25).

Then save the file and reopen in Motion. (Best to do this with a copy until you're completely confident with the process!)

Doesn't help you here but might help on a future occasion.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:23:07 pm

Thanks for that tip, will keep it in mind!

My footage is always p, never i, but the template is 3rd party so that might be one of the causes.

Return to posts index

Terry KeanRe: export from Motion to FCP OR FCPX: flickering video
by on Sep 17, 2013 at 5:06:24 pm

I am having the exact same problem. All footage is 24p and so is the project. Plays fine within Motion but the exported movie is all jacked up.
Were you ever able to find a solution? Would the template happen to be from Videoblocks?

Terry Kean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]