APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Output to PC

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Key
Output to PC
on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:55:40 pm

Hi, I have both a Mac and a PC and i would like to output a pre-rendered file from Motion 5 so that I can use it in AE on my PC - all I want is a file with an alpha channel, but there seems no way to output an AVI file (lame) and AECC on the PC does not recognize the QT alpha. I though from AE on the mac I'd be able to output something but no luck - is there a way to install some codecs or something that will solve my problem? A problem that seems like it should have taken a few minutes is turning into hours of frustration.

Professional video software should be able to talk to other operating systems and workflows IMO.

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Output to PC
on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:08:47 pm

Do PC's play ProRes? I thought they could only read them but not work with them. If I'm wrong do a ProRess 4444 and set to millions +. If you are on Motion 4 just export out an Animation Codec set to millions +. If you are on Motion 5 I believe you can send your project to Compressor and export it out as an Animation codec set to millions +. You have to have it set to millions + since the plus part is the alpha channel. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Christopher Key
on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:17:49 pm

Thanks for the reply - I have to look into the situation further as I don't know much about Motion and/or video compatibility problems between Mac and PC. I assumed - incorrectly I think - that any professional motion graphics program would be required to output every type of video currently in use. (I may have been spoiled by working with Sony Vegas over the years)

My workaround was to use a still image seq instead of video for the titles and graphics and that worked.

I hope I will be able to utilize the capabilities of Motion in the new workflow I am trying to develop.

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:21:55 pm

From Motion 4 to Motion 5 you lost codec options. I was under the imprison that was due to Apple wanting you to use Compressor. I don't use Motion a lot anymore these days and this is one of the reasons why.

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:15:13 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I was under the imprison that was due to Apple wanting you to use Compressor."

Actually, I think the reason for it was that they were getting rid of 32-bit support and making it a purely 64-bit app. Most of those older codecs are 32-bit only which is why Compressor has remained a 32-bit app (for compatibility).

In my opinion, if AE isn't supporting alpha in ProRes4444, then that's on Adobe. ProRes isn't a new codec, it's been around for years and is a topline codec for editing and gfx.

For the OP, I'd suggest outputting from Motion using the Send to Compressor function. Then use an Animation codec setting in Compressor.

It's also possible that your ProRes problem on your PC is related to you not having the ProRes codec installed on your system. It's decode only on PC, but that would mean that AE could read it and you can export from AE in whatever codec you want.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:50:17 pm

[Andy]
Actually, I think the reason for it was that they were getting rid of 32-bit support and making it a purely 64-bit app. Most of those older codecs are 32-bit only which is why Compressor has remained a 32-bit app (for compatibility).

After Effects is a 64 bit program (And has been for a very long time) and it still will let you export out the Animation codec. After Effects gives you a lot more options. This is where Adobe Shines, you can import basically any RAW codec into PPro or AE and you get more options for exporting out videos.

[Andy]
In my opinion, if AE isn't supporting alpha in ProRes4444, then that's on Adobe. ProRes isn't a new codec, it's been around for years and is a topline codec for editing and gfx.

Adobe does support ProRes. It is PC that doesn't. (Once again, I don't think Apple plays nice with the other kids in the sandbox) I'm on a Mac and I work with ProRess all the time in Premiere Pro and After Effects. It is my codec of choice when I'm not working with RAW files. If Christopher was only working on a Mac this question would have never come up.

[Andy]
For the OP, I'd suggest outputting from Motion using the Send to Compressor function. Then use an Animation codec setting in Compressor.

That is what I think would be best and have recommended.

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:57:35 pm

[Stephen Smith] "After Effects is a 64 bit program (And has been for a very long time) and it still will let you export out the Animation codec."

Look, I'm not an engineer or software coder, but Animation is a 32-bit codec. So for AE to be able to export in Animation, there has to be some 32bit code in there somewhere. Maybe AE is advertised as 64 bit because the interface runs in 64bit, but when I talked to the engineers who built Compressor, they said basically that 32bit code was necessary for 32bit codec support. Motion removed all 32bit support, hence the reason they don't support older codecs like Animation.

At least that was my understanding of it.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]