APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

"Falling Skies" title breakup

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilde
"Falling Skies" title breakup
on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:11:52 pm

Any suggestions on how to achieve a rough approximation of the glitchy pixelated effect in the opening titles of FS?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: "Falling Skies" title breakup
on Jul 10, 2013 at 2:39:26 pm

I have never seen Falling Skies, is there a video of it you can post or can you post a link to somewhere like youtube?

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 10, 2013 at 10:59:43 pm

Thank you for replying. Here's a link.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 10, 2013 at 5:32:57 pm

That looks as though it was done with lots of individual hand-made elements that are each used for one frame at a time to provide different kinds of break-up.

So for example you've got a random pattern of black rectangles which pops on for the odd frame here and there.

A similar random rectangular pattern is used as a mask for brightening or other color effects.

Another mask is used for adding scaled and/or repositioned versions of the main image back over the top of itself in small chunks.

And of course you've got the odd frame of TV glitch which you can easily add in Motion with the Bad TV filter.

So basically you need to sit down for a few minutes and go crazy making elements like this then you then use to create your own pattern of glitches - it's good to have quite little bursts of one type of interference pattern.

It's all about creating an interesting rhythm of interference events, albeit a random sort of rhythm.

Or a much simpler way which would save you the making of the elements would be to just add one frame bursts of the Bad TV effect with different settings, again in a random rhythmic pattern.

I hope that makes sense - this kind of sequence is really fun to do but as you can see it takes just a little time to get it looking as good as this.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:15:36 pm

And here's another idea you can try in order to achieve the outgoing break-up that takes away the whole image.

Add the Dots Out Random Replicator to your project. Change the Replicator Cell from the default circle to your own narrow rectangle shape.

Then use this replicator as the source for an Image Mask of your entire master group.

You'll need to play around with the replicator settings to get the right look (and make sure it covers your image in its initial state) and shorten it right down so it only lasts a few frames but it can be quite effective and will save you a lot of work.

You can also reverse it to use for the opening.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:52:37 pm

Here's a quick test to show you some of those techniques in action:

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:04:57 pm

Excellent! Could you upload the project you created so I can see the details?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:10:24 pm

Here you go (it's Motion 5):

6246_breakup.motn.zip

As I say, it was a very quick and dirty test so the project is a right old mess!

What I'd advise, if you want to use these techniques, is to pre-render a variety of elements and bring them back into a clean project, especially the replicator masks, as this will make it all much easier to handle.

Hope it's helpful.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 10, 2013 at 10:53:16 pm

Thank you. I'll study your attachment this evening. I've been working with Motion for only a few days so pardon my ignorance.

A promo email from MotionVFX arrived this afternoon, which prompted me to visit their site. There, I stumbled across this plug-in that seems to mostly duplicate Bad TV but also appears to include a hint the blocky artifacts you so astutely caught on to. IMHO, the latter are what differentiate the FS titles from the ubiquitous Bad TV effect.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:44:44 am

[Tim Wilde] "A promo email from MotionVFX arrived this afternoon, which prompted me to visit their site. There, I stumbled across this plug-in that seems to mostly duplicate Bad TV but also appears to include a hint the blocky artifacts you so astutely caught on to. IMHO, the latter are what differentiate the FS titles from the ubiquitous Bad TV effect."

I'm sure the MotionVFX plug-in is a good one - they do quality stuff generally. There are hundreds of glitch plug-ins out there right now - it's an effect that's in danger of being overexposed just like lens flares and light leaks.

If you're looking for a quick fix then a plug-in is the way to go - but it can be a lot more fun making this stuff yourself and you can create something genuinely unique rather than the off-the-shelf look that everybody else is using.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 11, 2013 at 3:49:15 pm

Simon, I agree wholeheartedly with the notion of devising effects on your own. If for no other reason, it's a great way to truly learn and internalize Motion's tools. Thank you very, very much for your help!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2013 at 7:55:12 pm

Hi Tim

Your question got me thinking about more efficient ways to generate the randomness automatically and I've made you this template project that is probably more helpful than what I shared with you yesterday:

6253_interference.zip

Essentially what I realised is that you can create a replicator with those rectangular shapes that has a sequence behavior (with attached randomise behaviors) which keeps generating random blocks.

This is then applied as a mask to the scaled and repositioned Clone layer of your master composite.

In order to only see these blocks of the Clone layer occasionally and randomly, I used a randomise behavior for the Opacity of the layer - and then also applied a Quantize behavior to the Opacity so the Opacity would always only be 0 or 100%.

It probably sounds a lot more complicated than it is but it works just fine. I've also done the same with a layer of black blocks driven by another version of the same replicator with enough parameters tweaked to make it completely different. And I've even used that same Randomise/Quantize routine to add random frames of Bad TV by applying it to the effect Mix level.

Finally I've made a much better version of the random assemble and disassemble of the picture at the start and end.

Hope that's of interest to you or anyone else looking to achieve this type of effect.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: "Falling Skies" title breakup - YOUTUBE TUTORIAL
on Jul 12, 2013 at 8:59:17 pm

Hi Tim

Here's a tutorial I've made that follows on from this discussion showing how to use the various techniques I've been describing.

Hope it's of interest.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 14, 2013 at 3:25:32 am

Wow! and Whoa! Excellent work. Thank goodness for voobys so I could download and watch your video point by point. There's a lot of content in it for a noob but the challenge is worth it.

Were those your children periodically yelling in the distance, or clients?

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jul 27, 2013 at 2:10:16 pm

Very nice, Simon!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: "Falling Skies" - NEW YouTube TUTORIAL
on Aug 16, 2013 at 6:50:04 pm

Here's a new Motion tutorial requested by a user who liked the look of the dummy title sequence I used in my Interference Glitch tutorial:

It shows how to make this effect:

Some useful hints and tips which include text styling using the indent filter and building a planet from scratch with procedural methods.

Hope it's of interest to somebody.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 18, 2013 at 5:14:26 am

That is a vey cool tutorial Simon. I got a lot out of it!

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 18, 2013 at 10:43:11 am

Thanks, Sandeep.

Somebody on YouTube asked me how I made an earlier version of this sequence and I'd originally done it with Photoshop and stock image maps for the text and and the planet, but I thought it would be interesting to see if these could be done entirely procedurally in Motion only.

Your particles project got me thinking that there's a lot more one could do with procedural techniques in Motion that I certainly haven't thought about.

I did think about showing how to do the starfield background as well but that would have taken more time than I had available. Again it would have been perfectly possible, and doing it procedurally would have opened up more possibilities for animation with very slightly shifting and twinkling stars, drifting nebulae and some small amount of parallax - the kind of almost subliminal animation that can be really effective.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:25:07 pm

Your sphere trick is fantastic - it never even crossed my mind to use it for something like this. I really liked the use of Caustics to simulate paths/terrain on your planets surface.

It blows my mind that you could actually fake a more elaborate 3D space scene pretty convincingly with some replication and clever comping/camera work. The toolset really is phenomenally deep.

But people just don't want to know. I saw someone messing about with Precomps and manually staggering design elements in AE today, working on a broadcast open, and couldn't help shaking my head - it would have taken him 30 seconds to get things the way he wanted using replicators.

I wonder if the MacPro update release will have any major additions. At the very least they should add an In Action page to the site and feature guys like you who really push the software.

Btw, hope you saw Mark's tip of the hat to your Link posting on the latest episode of Macbreak Studio :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]