APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can I simulate the effect of video projected onto smoke?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott House
Can I simulate the effect of video projected onto smoke?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 10:15:54 pm

Hi, looking for some ideas and suggestions....I want to create an effect of video being projected onto smoke - I'd thought there'd be a way to create a 3D field of smoke in Motion then add a video layer and have it look like it was "mapped on" to the smoke by changing or adjusting a blend mode, but I'm not having any luck. If anyone has ideas or can point me to a tutorial I'd be most grateful.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Can I simulate the effect of video projected onto smoke?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 10:21:25 pm

Are you talking about doing something like this:

Or something else?

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott House
on Jul 4, 2013 at 6:07:09 pm

I like the inkblot effect on here, but I'm looking for something less active - it's basically a lot of old 8mm footage from the 60's and 70's, trying to create a sort of ethereal, fleeting moody, smokey memories.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 4, 2013 at 6:03:32 pm

You can get a nice effect of you use the Smoke Emitter as an Image Mask for your video layer* - the brighter areas of the "smoke" wil; show more of your image and the darker areas less of it.

You might also want to consider adding a very subtle Underwater or other Distortion effect to break up the image a bit more.

Depends on the look you are going for of course but I did a quick test and it looks pretty convincing.

* Note that you might want to make a Clone of your smoke layer to act as the Image Mask and apply a Levels filter to it so you can adjust the blacks and whites more aggressively and get a stronger result. If you do use the original smoke layer for the mask, make sure you turn it back on, as adding it to the Image Mask well will automatically turn it off.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Scott House
on Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08:44 pm

Thanks, Simon - I hadn't been thinking of using the emitter as an image mask, that's probably the best route to go. :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 4, 2013 at 7:08:12 pm

[Scott House] "I hadn't been thinking of using the emitter as an image mask"

The nice thing about this technique is you get a totally believable fall-off to the image as all the edges get naturally masked by the smoke outline.

Hope it helps anyway.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]