APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Why is the render quality motion 4 better than motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan van den HeuvelWhy is the render quality motion 4 better than motion 5
by on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:07:36 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I already work in motion 4 for some while, Now I tried to work in motion 5 and it looks and works a lot more efficient but one thing I really don't understand and did cost me already one day tot solve the problem.... Please help me

In my current project I use high quality photoshop media combined with 422 ProResvideo, when rendered at best quality the result is poor. The animated .psd images look sharp but the footage looks a little blurry. In my render settings I did not use 'depth of field' or something I unboxed every option. so my camera is sharp overall, I use three camera's and even one is a view right from the front so I don't have a perspective blur, I nowhere have a file placed at more than 100%, I tried rendering uncompressed, H.264, ProRess... It all looks very poor. They strangest is that when looking in the projects 'normal' preview it looks a little bit sharper than at 'best' setting.

When I render the same footage using motion 4, the result looks perfect.

What do I do wrong?

I think possibly my videocard maybe to small, Motion 5 requires 500mb Vram I only have 256 on my MacPro 2007. Every time I start up motion 5, it gives my a warning. Motion 4 never does that.

But really, can that be the reason why??????

Return to posts index

Ronald RuiterRe: Why is the render quality motion 4 better than motion 5
by on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:24:04 am

I know this post has been a while. But I thought I'd give it a bump as I am struggling with the same problem.

When turning on full quality in Motion 5 it shows a razor sharp animation however, the rendered movie clip sucks to say the least, it's blurry as hell.

I've tried every codec and setting to no avail.
Other users surely should have this same issue, shouldn't they?

Hope someone has a solutiuon to this, as it's ridiculous to show my client :(

Return to posts index

David ChaiRe: Why is the render quality motion 4 better than motion 5
by on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:52:35 am

Did you make sure the project settings are matched to your footage - interlaced vs progressisve? Set incorrect and it will not be so sharp. I believe the default is progressive.
David

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com

Return to posts index

Ronald RuiterRe: Why is the render quality motion 4 better than motion 5
by on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:54:05 am
Last Edited By Ronald Ruiter on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:59:07 am

Hi David, thanks for responding.
I'm solely using photoshop stills. As it will be used for the internet it will be a progressive output.

I just found out it's a bug allright:
I copied a scene and pasted it into a new project file using all exact the same settings. The quality was much, so much better.
To further improve the quality I selected 'custom' for rendering and turned off 'high quality resampling' which improved the details.
As a result you might end up with some moiré effect but I'll deal with that in FCP postediting, as FCP generally f*&%s up the quality even more.

Apple really ought to sort their software out as it isn't the first bug I've encountered, and I don't even want to talk about FCP...

I hope I can help others out this way. I'm finally at peace with myself and ready for a good night's sleep. Got a lot of copying and pasting to do tomorrow... thanks Apple...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]