APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Controlling the "hotness" of flame line particle emitter

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Bass
Controlling the "hotness" of flame line particle emitter
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:27:40 pm

Hi. I am somewhat familiar with the workings of Motion (v4 here), but certain subtleties elude me. I'm using the flame line particle emitter. I generally like its look but it can get too "hot" sometimes. . .too much white in there for my liking. I can't figure out how or what parameter to adjust to tame that down a little. Can anyone provide insight? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Controlling the "hotness" of flame line particle emitter
on Jun 25, 2013 at 4:37:34 pm

If you turn off the Additive Blend in the Cell Controls you'll get a less hot result - and you can then of course play with the Color Over Life gradient to get the colors that suit you.

But it's the Additive blend that's making it "burn out" as it were!

You may however just want to play with the brightness of the middle color of the gradient to see if that helps first.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Josh Bass
on Jun 25, 2013 at 10:39:07 pm

Thanks. I played with that active blend setting but it looked icky when I turned it off (dark orange/brown mush with no variation) so I figured that was the wrong track and didn't mess with it again. Thanks for enlightening me though. I'll play some more.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 26, 2013 at 5:33:23 pm

The Additive Blend makes each instance of the particle that overlaps another become brighter (the pixels values get added together) which is why I mentioned it in this context.

It sounds as though all you need to do is follow my other suggestion which is to reduce the brightness of the middle color in the Color Over Life gradient.

Or you could do something simpler still which is to apply a Colorize filter (or any other color correction filter that works for you) to the whole particle system and adjust it that way.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Josh Bass
on Jun 26, 2013 at 9:23:09 pm

Thanks. I figured out later that's how additive blend worked. Re: changing the brightness of the brightest part of the color over life, if you look at the particular emitter it's already really "dim" to begin with. Maybe that's a moot point with additive blend but I thought I'd point it out.

What I ended up doing was changing it from color over life to "pick from color range". For whatever reason that did the trick, and I was able to adjust birth rate settings from there to tweak how hot I let it get, and if it got too "thin" I'd compensate with other settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]