APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Adding a Metallic gradient in Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt WareAdding a Metallic gradient in Motion 5
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:19:42 pm

I'm trying to add a moving metallic gradation that sort of swooshes across a logo in Motion 5 and have been striking out. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Matt

Return to posts index

Anders LarsenRe: Adding a Metallic gradient in Motion 5
by on Jun 17, 2013 at 1:07:30 pm

There are a couple of ways to do this.
The simplest is probably to use the logo to mask a much larger Gradient Generator, and then pushing the generator off to the side independent from the logo using a Throw behavior.

For a more organic feel, that resembles light moving on the surface of the logo, I would animate the location of the individual colors in the gradient. This can be a little tricky especially if you have a gradient with many color, but with patience you can get nice results.

Hope that helps, otherwise feel free to ask.

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Adding a Metallic gradient in Motion 5
by on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:05:22 pm

The way I generally like to do this is this:

Start with a good metallic look for your logo (or text) layer - a gradient fill is the easiest way of getting this.

Clone the "logo" (or text) layer.

Apply a Levels filter to it to brighten it up to "shine" level.

Make a thin rectangular mask to cover your logo to whatever width you want for your "shine" - I like to rotate this so the shine is angled rather than straight.

Apply this mask to your brightened Clone layer.

Then animate the X position of the mask so the shine moves across the logo.

You can also add other effects to the cloned layer such as Glow and Dazzle - you can also colorize it if that works for you. You might want to add a Levels filter to your base layer and darken it down it a bit to help the shine stand out.

You can also create additional masks for the same layer to add subsidiary light passes or to make the first one more interesting.

This technique gives you a lot of flexibility.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I'm not generally a huge fan of the Extrude filter but a very small, subtle amount (i.e. minimal distance value) really helps if you're going for a metallic look.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]