APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Problem with Link Parameter & On Screen Controls

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Northcross
Problem with Link Parameter & On Screen Controls
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:26:23 am

Hey gang,

I'm trying my hand at building a generator that links a shape's x & y position parameters with the x & y parameters from the kaleidotile effect's x & y "center" parameters. The idea is that I publish the OSC for use in Final Cut Pro X to move the object around. I grab the OSC, drag up or down, left or right and the object moves proportionally. I'm not getting the results I'm looking for.

Linking everything up isn't a problem. But I'm having a great amount of trouble with the level movement fidelity using my setup. I can move 1 pixel up or down, left or right but any further and my object goes flying far off of the screen. I can't just drag the OSC control and have the object follow along.

Aside from changing the X & Y offsets to -.5 and assigning the target and compatible parameters in each of the respective link behaviors, I'm using the default settings.

I'm using Motion 5.0.5, FCP X 10.0.8 and OS X 10.7.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Problem with Link Parameter & On Screen Controls
on Jun 10, 2013 at 1:59:24 pm

Not quite sure what you're doing wrong as this should work just fine. Although you might find it easier to use a more basic control such a Poke or something rather than the Fairly elaborate Kaleidotile filter.

Anyway, here's a sample Generator project with the filter linked up as you described.

6123_kaleidotilelinking.zip

Hope that helps:

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Jun 10, 2013 at 2:46:30 pm

Thanks Simon!

I'm not sure what I'm doing either! Looking at your project, the one difference I had is that I used an empty group as the source object instead of a generator. But after looking at yours, I create a new project and created something that works fine. Not sure and as long as it doesn't re-appear, I don't care. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 10, 2013 at 2:50:18 pm

Glad you got it working - however you managed it ;-)

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Jun 10, 2013 at 2:55:06 pm

Just did a triple check and it appears that the empty layer was the culprit. Went back to the project where I was experiencing difficulties, inserted a color solid inside the group and changed the source object in the link behavior to the color solid and everything began working the way I expected it to. I don't think that's documented, but seems like good info to know.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 10, 2013 at 3:04:01 pm

[Chris Northcross] "Just did a triple check and it appears that the empty layer was the culprit. Went back to the project where I was experiencing difficulties, inserted a color solid inside the group and changed the source object in the link behavior to the color solid and everything began working the way I expected it to. I don't think that's documented, but seems like good info to know."

That was indeed your problem. You can't apply filters to empty groups - unless there's something in the group it won't work because there's nothing to apply the filter to. A group isn't the same as a layer.

Hope that makes sense.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Alex Gollner
on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:59:46 am

Another thing to watch out for with OSCs applied to invisible layers is that if the filter modifies the pixel dimensions of the group, you can get scaling problems when linking parameters. Get around this by setting the invisible OSC group to have a fixed resolution (usually the same dimensions as your project).

@Alex4D

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 13, 2013 at 12:42:06 pm

I prefer to always OSC filters to a generator, since by default, it matches the dimensions of the project.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]