APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Keyframes vs. Behaviors in Motion 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly LambertKeyframes vs. Behaviors in Motion 4
by on May 16, 2013 at 2:32:18 pm

I'm a long time Final Cut Pro user and am fairly familiar with After Effects. I'm trying to learn Motion 4 and I just can't get my head around the interface and how to use the program.

I'm used to using keyframes (in both FCP and AE) to manipulate my objects but this seems more difficult than it should be in motion. Is motion designed to use behaviors more than it is to use keyframes? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Keyframes vs. Behaviors in Motion 4
by on May 16, 2013 at 3:29:02 pm

It's designed to use keyframes, behaviors, or a combination of both, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. The keyframes work in similar fashion to After Effects in the Keyframe Editor. You can copy/paste, change interpolation, shift in time, etc. You can also turn on keyframe "bundles" in the Timeline, which is great for moving groups of keyframes together. For some animation tasks, behaviors are faster and easier than keyframes.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Keyframes vs. Behaviors in Motion 4
by on May 16, 2013 at 6:17:10 pm

[Kelly Lambert] "I'm used to using keyframes (in both FCP and AE) to manipulate my objects but this seems more difficult than it should be in motion."

Are there any areas in particular that are giving you problems?

I'd say that generally Motion's keyframing toolset is pretty extensive and very easy to use once you are familiar with it.

And if you don't want to touch Behaviors, you don't have to, but there's a wealth of extra speed and power that they bring that's fairly astounding. You can very quickly do stuff that would take far longer to achieve, and be much slower to fine tune, in AE.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]