APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Using more than one instances of an Effect Source

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Bernard
Using more than one instances of an Effect Source
on May 1, 2013 at 9:19:05 pm

Hello good people from Creative Cow forum.

I've been fiddling around with an issue while trying to achieve and effect in Motion 5 for FCPX.

I'll give both, Short version and Full version of the story.

SHORT VERSION:
Since it is not possible to duplicate the "effect source" I need to find some way to have difference portion of the Source Clip with different x and y position. How would one manage to do that?

FULL VERSION:
I am working on some basic 35mm camera HUD effect for FCPx since the one from FCP7 doesn't work anymore, nothing fancy. So, while replicating the focusing screen I came across a problem. If you ever used a 355mm, you know that the center of the image consiste of a circle split in two halves and you focus by aligning the image in those two halves.
Here's a picture to illustrate:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/2232435624_cae58fef69.jpg
So, here is my problem: How can I split the "Effect Source" into those two halves AND move them without moving the whole image?

WHAT I'VE ALREADY TRIED:
So far, I have managed to make an Image Mask piercing a circle in the middle of the picture plus two other Image mask for both part of my image, but I can't move what is inside the mask, only the masks themselves.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Using more than one instances of an Effect Source
on May 1, 2013 at 9:25:01 pm

Simply make a Clone of the Effect Source rather than duplicating it (since duplicating isn't possible).

(Covered in my training btw :-))

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Daniel Bernard
on May 1, 2013 at 9:41:26 pm

Many thanks for your help, didn't know about cloning.
I guess sometimes, the answers are right in front of you, aren't they? :) You just need to know they exist.

In my research for answers, I've actually watched a couple of your videos, but I never found one concerning my issue. I guess if I had knew the existence of cloning, I would've checked it out and found your training about it. I just had a hard time finding keywords for exactly what I wanted to do I guess.

Your help is much appreciated.

You have a great evening :)

Dan

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on May 13, 2014 at 8:53:22 pm

Hi Mark,

Maybe you can help me out here: what I would like to do is create an effect that will be applied to a portrait photo and will show that picture as it is and a blurred copy of that picture, fullscreen, in the background. Unfortunately this is not possible using the clone approach, because I cannot have different aspect ratio's for the effect source and its clone.

Do you have any suggestions how to tackle this in Motion ?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 13, 2014 at 9:06:20 pm

Have you tried the Photo Recall effect that is built into FCP X and does exactly that? If it isn't precisely what you want, perhaps you could simply modify it to suit your needs.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on May 14, 2014 at 7:33:59 am

Hi Mark,

Yes, the Photo Recall effect is essentially what I want, however, the blurred background has the same aspect ratio as the photo/clip it is applied to. What I want is e.g. a portrait image, centered, and a part of that image used as a fullscreen background. So, the aspect ratio's of the Effect Source and its "copy" are different. Cloning does not allow me to do that.

Inspecting the Photo Recall effect in Motion is showing me some behaviors I cannot find anywhere, such as LinkY. Do you know what they are, how they work and where I can find info about them ? Google hasn't helped me here.

Appreciating you help.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 14, 2014 at 12:37:44 pm

Why don't you just mask the clone? I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve. As to learning more about Motion, that's basically what I do for a living - you may want to check out rippletraining.com.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on May 14, 2014 at 3:29:29 pm

Hi Mark,

Please refer to the attached file 7494_sampleblur.jpg.zip for an example of what I would like to achieve.

Contrary to the Photo Recall effect, the background picture should be window-filling (zoomed). I hope this will clarify my intentions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]