APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Using Motion image sequences

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan RentcomeUsing Motion image sequences
by on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:31:37 pm

Hi everyone

Fairly new to motion but I am stuck trying to use an image sequence. I have exported from Aperture 70 images which include both landscape and portrait ratio images. I import them into Motion 5 as an image sequence. I have figured out the first frame or image decides the bounding box / size which means that any image for instance, a landscape image, is cropped or part of the image missing when that frame is played. What I would like is to have each frame play correctly in the aspect ratio of the image or size to fit the image appropriately.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Anders LarsenRe: Using Motion image sequences
by on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:58:03 am

Since it's only 70 images it should be fairly easy to go back and crop them in Aperture.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Using Motion image sequences
by on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:42:55 pm

I was going to say, this sounds like an Aperture question and not a Motion question.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Using Motion image sequences
by on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:30:14 pm

I think there's a fairly easy way of doing this in Motion which would mean you could see all your changes in situ and refine them if you wanted.

First of all set the Timing of your imported image sequence clip to 100% so that as you advance frame by frame you get a new image from the sequence each time. (You will change this later.)

Then turn on animation and move through your sequence adjusting the position and scale for each frame - you can easily do this is the canvas or you could use the Inspector if you prefer to work that way.

Once you've gone through all your shots and reframed them to your liking, got to the Keyframe Editor and make all the position keyframes visible by selecting Position from the Curve selector menu, Hit Cmd+A to select them all. Right click on any one of the control points and select Constant from the Interpolation menu. Select Scale from the Curve selector menu and repeat the process for the scale keyframes.

Now you can adjust the Timing of your clip to whatever speed you want for your slideshow.

Using the constant interpolation option means that all your reframes will snap to the start of each frame (rather than smoothly interpolating between them which wouldn't be good). When you retime your sequence the changes will still remain in the same place because the keyframes will scale with the retiming.

You can always go back and make any refinements you need to any of the reframes - you won't have to scale the Timing again to do so.

Hope that makes some sense - you might find it easier than going back to Aperture for this and you might benefit from being able to see what you're doing right inside Motion.

Note that you will need to set a new keyframe for every frame for this technique to work correctly.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]