APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Adding pizza slice shaped mask to image in Motion 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Adding pizza slice shaped mask to image in Motion 4
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:52:31 pm

I have a circle(client logo) with a triangle color resembling a slice of pizza. Next to that circle, I'm adding a still image picture. I'd like the shape of the pizza slice to continue and mask it with the same triangular shape. Can someone explain how to create a triangular shaped mask in Motion 4?

I've added a sample of what this is supposed to look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Adding pizza slice shaped mask to image in Motion 4
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:54:27 pm

ooops...here's the image sample

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 30, 2013 at 2:11:21 pm

Hi Greg

Just use the Bezier shape tool to mark out the corners of your pizza slice (just click to add points and rag them if they're not exactly right) then add the resulting shape as an Image Mask to your source image.

You may also want to create a circle shape for the bottom left corner of your image. Then add another Image Mask and add the circle shape to it, setting the Mask Blend Mode to subtract.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 1, 2013 at 12:04:36 am

Thanks Simon,

I'm really a bit lost on how to set an image mask to my source image and how to add a second circle mask.

Can you tell me how to do this in motion 4? What you've shown me is exactly whatI'm looking for except for it all beong over a white background.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:11:10 am

Hi Greg

First of all create your shape using the Bezier pen tool. Just click to define the points you need - when you click back over the first point it will close the shape and you'll get your pizza shaped slice. you can always drag the points after creating them if they're not exactly where you ned them to be.

Then select the layer you want to mask and then either a) right (or control) click and select Add Image Mask, b) select from the main Object menu, or c) hit Shift+Cmd+M.

This will add an Image Mask image well to your layer.

Drag the shape you have made into the image well and it will mask the image (automatically turning off the visibility of the shape in the process to make your life easier).

You can add as many Image Masks as you want and carry on adding different shapes.

The default Mask Blend Mode behavior is Add and any additional masks will be added to the first one - increasing the area that is masked.

If you want to do that circle cut-out, then you will need to set its Mask Blend Mode to Subtract - so the circle mask shape eats away at your pizza slice!

Use the Circle shape tool to make your circle and hold down the shift key as you do so to make it perfectly round.

Hope that helps.

PS. Of course you could also do the same thing using the Mask tool directly - I just prefer to work this way. It amounts to the same thing in the end.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:08:11 pm

Thanks SO MUCH!!!! Simon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]