APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 4 3D Layer Issue

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Shepard
Motion 4 3D Layer Issue
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:59:24 pm

I am trying to make a simple 3-layer camera spin. I have 1 layer with a logo, another with with a stock flower image and then a layer of text. I have 1 camera.

When I rotate the camera view whatever layer is on top according to the Layers window will be infront of everything else even though I have everything on a different position of the Z axis. As I rotate the camera I can clearly see the correct hierarchy of the layers on the Z axis, but when I put the camera in front or behind it will take the layer order. I have even exaggerated the Z axis positions to try and make it work.

All layers are 3D and I know it is taking the layer order because if I move the layers around the front-most object is always the top layer.

I have added the project to this post. Please look at it and tell what the issue may be.

5677_pikeybandintro.motn.zip

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Motion 4 3D Layer Issue
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:13:30 pm

I think you're looking at the Active Camera view the wrong way - certainly that's the way it's looking when you open up the project.

Suffice it to say that your layer order (in terms of Z depth) is back to front if you're wanting the text over the flower.

The layer order you've got in Z depth is that the logo is in front of the flower which is in front of the text group. You need to reverse the Z values bearing in mind that the greater the negative value of Z the further back in space your object will be.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Shepard
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:46:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. You are correct in that I want to the logo in front, then the flower, then the text. Then, of course, I want to rotate the camera around the center axis thus "reversing" the order as it were. The text would be on top of the flower, followed by the logo. As it stands right now, I cannot achieve that by any means of Z-axis shuttling. The only way I can adjust the display order it to move layers up and down.

Here is a new project I made because I wanted to start from scratch. I am having the same issue. In this one you can see that the front perspective shows the text on top, then the flower, then the logo. If you chose the back perspective it will be text, logo, flower. I should not be able to see the text over the logo when viewing it from the back.

5678_test.motn.zip

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:57:35 pm

Try making all your layers, except for the top enclosing group, into 2D layers instead. That should do what you want it to.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Shepard
on Mar 19, 2013 at 7:00:03 pm

BRILLIANT! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 19, 2013 at 8:09:01 pm

Glad to hear you've got it working :)