APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 5 upgrade? Compatibility?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Motion 5 upgrade? Compatibility?
on Feb 27, 2013 at 3:26:43 pm

I recently started a new position and have gone back in time. They're running FCS 2, FCP 6 and Motion 3. However, we're making the leap to CS6 for PP and AE. However, I really like Motion and the close to real-time playback with GFX card, unlike AE. AE has to RAM preview and all that bs. Anywho, if we buy Motion 5 ($50, awesome), I assume that in FCP, right clicking and sending to Motion Project won't work with MOTN 5 and will still send to MOTN 3, correct?

Will MOTN 5 have to be more of a stand alone app, rather than try and integrate with FCS. Man I miss FCS 3. Loved it. MOTN 4 was great, fast and FCP 7, well, my bread-n-butter.

Jumping to CS6 is going fine. FCP translate well to PP, but I miss MOTN. I realize AE has more bells and whistle, but for speed sake, can't beat MOTN! Will MOTN 5 be good as stand alone?

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
Re: Motion 5 upgrade? Compatibility?
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:04:19 pm

While I think there is a way around this, whenever I have tried a 'send to motion' (from fpc7) it sends it to Motion 5, which doesn't work, at least in my experience. I've always found the round-tripping between FCP and Motion to be more trouble than it's worth, so I've never really bothered to try and see if I could still make it work with earlier versions of Motion.

I agree about missing the real-time-ish capabilities of Motion in going to AE. In that respect it is definitely faster, but in my experience Motion has ended up being more unstable- random crashes, unreliable RAM previews, trouble exporting, etc. Even though AE has its share of crashes and frustrations, on the whole I have found it to be more stable and responsive, even though it ends up being slower (sometimes) in animating. I say that as someone who really likes Motion but is finding that on the whole AE has less hair-pulling moments.

As far as Motion 5 as a stand-alone: definitely. I've used it a lot like that and it works just fine. I've not used it with FCPX and Compressor, so I can't comment on how well it integrates with them.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:08:04 pm

Just rename Motion 5 to something else, and FCP will launch Motion 4 for round-tripping.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:53:02 pm

Good tip. Jason, I've actually used and quite like the round trip function. Being able to have a .motn doc in your timeline is a huge time saver from having to render, import and edit into FCP timeline. Now, I would always do that once I get approval, but for offline type GFX and edit, works great. However, I do agree about crashes. As projects grow, the more unstable they become. At least with MOTN 3, Loved 4 but think I'll try 5. Again, 50 bills, you can't beat it.

Mark, love the MBS episodes. Huge reason why I use and love MOTN. You make it easy to understand.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]