APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How To Disassemble An Image???

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim SolanaHow To Disassemble An Image???
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 6:57:37 pm

Is there any way on God's green earth you can slice up an imagine and have it fly appart??? I'd like to have a PNG of my company's logo (text and an image) to appear to be constructed mid-video. I figured that the easiest way to do this is to deconstruct the image then reverse, but this seems to be equally impossible...

Well, if you can provide any insight or help in any way, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Return to posts index

Jason WatsonRe: How To Disassemble An Image???
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:46:40 pm

There are a number of ways one could go about it- two that come to mind immediately:

1. In Motion make multiple copies of your image, equal to the number of pieces you want assembled. Then mask each copy differently so that altogther they form the original image- pretty much like each is puzzle piece.

2. Do something similar in Photoshop beforehand, making a bunch of different pieces (in as many layers) that can then assemble in Motion later. If you pull in the .psd with all the layers, you won't have to arrange them again.

I find Motion's masking tool too unruly and imprecise to work with for something this detailed- Photoshop might be easier if you are comfortable with it.

For both of these methods- as you intuited, working in reverse would be easiest. You don't necessarily have to reverse the animation, though. Simply go to the frame where you want the assembling to be complete and set a keyframe for position, rotation, etc., for each piece. Then move back in time and modify the position, rotation, etc., as desired. Once you have the start and end points for each piece you can then go in and fine-tune in the middle, which is much easier than trying to eye the whole thing from start to finish.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Tim SolanaRe: How To Disassemble An Image???
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:25:01 pm

Yeah... That's what I was afraid of. Our marketing squad didn't see need to send me a PSD of the logo so right now all I have to work with is a JPEG. But I'm adequate in Photoshop so I'll do my best to make it work.

As for the reverse thing, I'm like super new to Motion, and truthfully, video stuff in general. So the whole keyframe thing is kinda confusing to me. I'll try to figure it out, but I was thinking of, after rendering the final project just import it again and apply a reverse behavior. Think that would work?

Return to posts index

Chris NorthcrossRe: How To Disassemble An Image???
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 2:31:42 pm

If I'm reading your question right, you want to have your image break apart into different pieces and fly away. This is actually rather simple in motion and doesn't require having to go out to Photoshop. You simply need to use some particles.
(the image you want to disassemble will need an alpha channel though so if you're creating it in Photoshop, make sure you save it with alpha.)

Andy Neil did a series a while back on exploding text and the principals are pretty much the same. You just need to swap in your logo image for the text.

Link for the first video is here:http://library.creativecow.net/neil_andy/Exploding-Text_Apple-Motion_1/1

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Gareth RandallRe: How To Disassemble An Image???
by on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:39:34 am

I'd recommend buying Patrick Sheffield's book "How To Cheat In Motion". It's got a whole section dedicated to ways of disassembling and reassembling images using Motion's standard tools. Yes, particles are one way, but you can also use a replicator.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: How To Disassemble An Image???
by on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:08:39 pm

The last time I did this in M4 I prepared a ten-layer .psd file where I went in and cut up on the individual layers. Since they are all identical layers otherwise, when all ten or however many layers are sitting in place, it looks like one solid piece. I lay that on the timeline in Motion and use the record button to pick an appropriate keyframe where I grab and push.rotate. flip each piece/layer. Depending where you set the keyframe, you can make it break apart or come together. You can apply throws and other behaviors to each piece to speed things up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]