APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Thinner outlines for shapes?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas ZeitlerThinner outlines for shapes?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 9:43:58 am

Hello CreativeCow,

I need to make rounded rectangle with a gradient fill in Motion. So far so good.

The problem is that the rectangle needs to have a very thin outline, but Motion doesn't let me set an outline width smaller than 1. I could set to "do not scale" and then do some scaling down, which I tried, but to get to the size I actually need, I would have to do a lot of scaling.

I worked around the problem by importing a graphic containing the rectangle in the right size for now. I'm wondering, if it is possible to set smaller outline sizes though?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David EaksRe: Thinner outlines for shapes?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 11:29:19 am

Can you type in a smaller number like 0.25 instead of using the slider?

Return to posts index

Andreas ZeitlerRe: Thinner outlines for shapes?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 12:25:28 pm

No you can't.

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Thinner outlines for shapes?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:50:13 pm

Try selecting Under Fill for the Outline Order (as opposed to Over Fill - the default) and turn on Preserve Width and you have full control over the width.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andreas ZeitlerRe: Thinner outlines for shapes?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:18:46 pm

Thanks, Under Fill works.

Return to posts index

AJ RobinsonRe: Thinner outlines for shapes?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:34:21 pm

Hey, I came up with a good solution. Make your rectangle. Well call this (1) Set the falloff to 1000 (you'll have to type this in). Then, duplicate the layer (2) and place it under your original rectangle (1). This will be your outline. Set this rectangle (2) to the color you want to be your outline. Then, you will have to increase the X and Y scale parameters of (2) by yourself. Open up the scale drop down arrow, and scale the X to say 101. Then, scale the Y up to about 103 to even it out.

Any Questions?

~AJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]