APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

saving motion projects

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowmansaving motion projects
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:18:41 pm

Hi,

so I have bought a template. I installed it in my root folder and it shows in the new project pane. I open it.

I want to save it as a project because I am going to use the same template for different things, but when I click save as it forces me into saving it as a template and doesn't allow me to decide where I will save it. I save all my projects on a particular hard drive in a particular folder and what I don't really want is all my projects being saved on my OS partition because that is a waste of space.

what am I missing here? how do I decide where to save my projects and how do I save it as a project rather than as a template? do i have to open the initial project in a different way other than through the new project pane? ie clicking on the template in a folder other than the root thing so it just opens as a project? And if that is the case, will anything i open via the new project pane force me into saving it as a template and sticking it in movies > motion on my OS drive?

cheers

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: saving motion projects
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:23:08 pm

First, I'd recommend getting support from the folks who sold you the template.
But what it the extension? If it's .moti or .motr or .moef, then it's designed specifically to be published for use in Final Cut Pro X. If it's .motn, it may have been published as a generator for FCP X, but you can always choose Save As instead of publishing it and saving it as a project wherever you like.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Julian BowmanRe: saving motion projects
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:25:51 pm

Cheers. though i gave the template as an example i played around with a default text template and had the same issue.

When I choose save as I simply get no choice as to where i save it!?

File > Save As =

Enter a name for the Final Cut Pro Title, and choose which folder to keep it. You may also assign a theme to your template.

Template Name : ______________
Category: [drop down choices]
Theme: None

No option to select where i want to save as.

What am I doing wrong? Any idea?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:28:11 pm

It was designed as generator for FCP X. Just go to user/Movies/Motion Templates/Generators and drag the folder to where you want it to live.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:35:05 pm

can I just move the whole of the

user > movies > motion templates

folder to where I want and everything will still be found? At the moment there is nothing in

user > movies > motion templates > generators

it saves it in

user > movies > motion templates > titles

Also, how do I simply make it though so I can choose from inside Motion 5 where I want any project to go with save as? and for it to not end up in the new project pane as another thing inside whatever folder I assign it?

I just feel it is making me create templates when all i want to do is save a project as a project in my designated project folder. Seems so simple in principle, and from vague memory was how it used to be in motion 3 and 4.

Cheers

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:37:16 pm

No, that folder has to stay there for FCP X. Ok, so it is a .moti project, you never answered that question. Just move the folder inside the Titles folder.

The whole idea here is that the project was designed be accessed from the Titles Browser in FCP X. I'm not sure why you don't want it to work that way.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:40:56 pm

Mainly because I am not using FCPX :)

Ok, i moved from within the titles folder, opened it up and checked save as and it is still the restrictive save as parameters.

I just don't understand why i could save the other project as projects and anywhere from within Motion 5 but now I have to save it to the movies folder because it won't give me the choice to choose where i save it...!?

All a bit odd and frustrating to be honest

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:46:11 pm

Just following on from this.

So i moved my folder from Titles to another drive.

I opened the project from the folder on the other drive.

I click save as and it is forcing me to save it back in the movies drive.

So basically if i want to change just the text for different versions I have to save it to the movies > motion > titles > category folder then move the folder to where i want it.

Does that not seem a bit insane?

I really would just like to know how to actively decide where I am saving something. Am I opening the original template in an incorrect way so as to force me into the limited path for saving?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:49:34 pm

FIGURED IT OUT.

just change it to .motn then it stops being your mother and lets you play in any mud pool you want.

Thanks for the suffixes from your first post, helped me get there.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Lee-Anne HolmesRe: saving motion projects
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:24:52 pm

Thank you so much. That was driving me INSANE!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:49:33 pm

You have to understand that with Motion 5 and FCP X the entire process has changed. You can create regular projects, or you can publish effects for FCP X. This should be obvious if you look at the Project Browser when you create a new project.

You bought an FCP X title effect. It was specifically designed to be used in FCP X. You can override that behavior by changing the project file extension from .moti to .motn. Then you should be able to save it the way you want.

In general, it's important to select the right type of project you want from the start - an ordinary Motion project, or a title, transition, effect, or generator for FCP X.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:52:52 pm

Cheers, I figured it out but thanks anyway.

"You bought an FCP X title effect. It was specifically designed to be used in FCP X."

Actually i was sold what I believed was a Motion 5 template with various elements. Obviously I'm not saying you are wrong as the suffix tells you what it is, but it wasn't obvious and I didn't knowingly buy something for FCPX, but rather Motion 5.

Anyway, .motn will be my friend, it even lets me play chicken in the middle lane of the motorway if I want to, bless it's cotton socks.

.moti.... hmmm, go away control freak.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:58:50 pm

If you bought from motionvfx.com, they usually provide a separate .motn Motion project as well as a title project and more.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 7:02:45 pm

I did as it goes, but I used the title version rather than the project and looking at them all the title, lower 3rd and transition are all .moti

Guess that makes sense in a way if you want to use those in FCPX but i'm still with 7... plus I always prefer being in control of where I put things and am happy saving out finished versions and dropping them in 7.

Still, going to bite the bullet and try X in the not too distant future so I'll see if I will do it their way or my way.

At least I know how to regain control, so thank you for your time on this :)

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:38:15 pm

it is .moti by the way, sorry i should have said.

thing is a previous template i got from the same place I opened and saved as projects where i wanted countless times. Just tested the archived versions now and that's how it was. But now all I get is this restricted save parameters....!?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]