APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

No Motion Prefrences?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Becky GeearNo Motion Prefrences?
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:28:55 pm

Hi there,

I've been having problems with Motion 5 -- it's one of the first projects I've done on my MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770 M 1024 MB Graphics card, running OS X Lion 10.7.5). My project is very, very simple. White floor and background in 3D space. A few still images, a few lines of text. The problem comes when I'm trying to use the Framing effect to move my camera from one image to the other. The dreaded beach ball appears and stays for minutes on end with no finale in sight. After 15 or so minutes I just end up force quitting.

I've been trying to read up on similar issues and I've come across many people who have the beach ball or Motion is slow and sluggish, but they don't necessarily have my problem. One of the suggestions is to trash preferences. I went to go do that, however, I can't seem to find the preference I'm supposed to delete. I go into my Library folder/Preferences, but search as I might there isn't a com.apple.motion.plist. This does not seem normal to me.

I'm on a serious time crunch with this project and am grasping at straws on what to do. If someone knows why Motion is not saving a preference file and/or has an idea at how to solve my problem with the framing effect I would be MORE than appreciative. Time is ticking and I'm lost.

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Becky

Return to posts index

Becky GeearRe: No Motion Prefrences?
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:33:06 pm

A screen shot of my preferences folder. I'm assuming the Motion preference file should be between the loginwindow.plist and the P2Supervisor.plist, but it's missing. Unless, I'm completely off my rocker and am forgetting my alphabet. A search in Spotlight doesn't bring up any results.

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: No Motion Prefrences?
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:36:25 pm

It's in the User library, not the root.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:41:37 pm

Oh, thanks Mark! I feel like an idiot, but thank you. Found it. I notice that there are more than one preference file. Since I'm new to trashing preferences do I trash them all or just the com.apple.motionapp.plist?

Do you have any idea why Motion would lock up on a simple framing effect? I went to your classes at NAB this last year and thought this was a very cool and easy way to move the camera. However, my computer thinks otherwise. =P

Return to posts index

by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:44:39 pm

I would delete any of the Motion preference files. I don't know why you are having an issue - what is the resolution of your still? If they are very large, that could cause a problem, you can try down-rezzing them in Preview.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:49:36 pm

Thanks, Mark. I'll delete all the preferences and cross my fingers that works. =)

The images I received are all 678x599. (5 in total) That doesn't seem particularly large to me (I'm working in 1920x1080 for my project). Perhaps I should change my project size?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:03:33 pm

Those should be fine and your project size should be fine as well.
Assuming you are using Motion 5, if trashing prefs doesn't help, then delete the app and reinstall it from the App Store.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:43:57 pm

Ok, sounds good. I'll give the reinstall a whirl if the preferences trick doesn't solve it.

Thanks for your help, Mark. I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Anders LarsenRe: No Motion Prefrences?
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:29:15 am

Try to open and re-save the images.
If had weird things happen with images (mostly .png) delivered to me before. Opening them in Photoshop and saving them again has almost always fixed it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]