APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Animation Project in Motion Settings

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Michals
Animation Project in Motion Settings
on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:19:15 pm

I am creating an animation in Motion and FInal Cut. All the visuals are being drawn in Motion, which I believe makes them Vector based. My goals is to use settings that would look totally crisp whether projected on a large screen for a film festival or streaming on the web. Here are the settings that seem to work well, there's no jagged edges/colors look good.

Dimensions: 1280 × 720
Codec: H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode
Color Profile: HD (1-1-1)
Total Bit Rate: 1,928

Prior to starting animating, I played around with a lot settings and these setting looked great when exported, at least over the web and as a Quicktime. Then, I got excited to start cracking and began working.

HOWEVER- Now, it seems the file sizes are so huge that my computer is moving crazy slow and crashing on a regular basis. I thought that since these are vector based images, this wouldn't such an issue, as I move the files into Final Cut.

Any suggestions on settings that would allow me to work quickly, while in Motion and FInal Cut, but would, in the end, look crisp (not pixilated or buzzing colors) when I finish the project? I based my project settings on Vimeo's suggested settings, see below, but now I believe they are intended for HD video, rather than vector based images.

https://vimeo.com/help/compression

Sorry for the long post.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Animation Project in Motion Settings
on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:30:20 pm

FCP 7 does not play H.264 files. That is why they keep playing crazy slow. I recommend ProRess 422 (HQ). Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jonathan Michals
Re: Animation Project in Motion Settings
on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:25:21 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated! Will use ProRess 422 (HQ).

If I've already created animations, can they be converted to ProRess 422 (HQ), or will the animations have to be recreated using Proress 422 from the get go? If the animation can be converted, would I convert them to ProRess in Motion and then reimport them to Final Cut 7 as ProRess 422?

Or is it possible to convert the clips already cut into my Final Cut sequence to ProRess 422 and keep cutting? Lastly, would it be matter of changing BOTH the clips and the sequence to 422?

PS- Pardon my relative cluelessness.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]