Text on a motion path grow and shrink

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael West
Text on a motion path grow and shrink
on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:13:39 pm

Good morning:
I have my text animated along a path.
I would like it to appear that each letter comes out of a point back in z space, expands as it gets to the center of the path, then shrinks to zero at the end point, at some point all the letters are visible at the same time, each at their different sizes in the path.
ex. letters going across an eye from tear duct to the corner of the eye.

Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

AJ Robinson
Re: Text on a motion path grow and shrink
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:36:31 pm

Thats really simple you just need to know a little bit about keyframing.

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:28:58 pm

I know a little bit about keyframing.
How do I apply it to what I'm trying to do?

Return to posts index

AJ Robinson
on Aug 29, 2012 at 8:39:12 pm

Prolly what you would want to use would be a sequence text behavior, but that would be a little more difficult.

Instead of the making the letters actually fly in from negative Z space, the simpler the better, just make the letters grow from small to big, making the letter appear as if it was coming in from Z space.

Lets start off by making the text. I made each letter it's own layer so that I have lots more control.

To make the size animate, I'm going to click the keyframes editor down in the very bottom right corner , or hit Command+8.

[above] the shaded blue box is the keyframes editor. The next area on the left is audio, then the timeline [above]

I'm going to select my first layer [letter], then bring it up in the inspector. Moving the playhead to the very beginning of the project [home key for short], click on the little plus [+] by the Scale. It will turn yellow to indicate that a keyframe has been added.

The red circle is what is what is looks like after you click on the [+]. The yellow circle is what the button look like before.

Now set the scale value to 50 or whatever you desire. If we look in our keyframe editor, we can see that a keyframe has been added to the scale property. That very first keyframe now has a value of 50% scale.

Drag the playhead to like 31 frames in or so. As soon as we drag the playhead, you'll notice that over in the inspector the scale property is no longer yellow, rather it's shows the [+] again. This is because the [+] is only yellow when it is over a keyframe. What you'll also notice is that the value is now red. This means that it is being animated.

Click on the little [+] again to add another keyframe. You can also do this by selecting all three of the scales and then right mouse click and select "add keyframe"

Down in the keyframe editor, you'll notice we have another keyframe.

With the playhead over our second keyframe, set this one's value to 100% You'll now notice that we have a sloping line. This represents the image going from 50% scale to 100%.

Move the playhead to the beginning and hit play. Now the text will go from 50% to 100% scale. This looks like it's coming in from Z.

One thing you'll notice is that that the letter is scaling in from the side, which is where the anchor point is. This looks like it's coming in at you from an angle. To make it look like it's coming straight, you'll need to put the anchor point in the center, because all properties work off the anchor, not necessarily the center of the media. Like to rotating- it'll always rotate around the anchor. If you move the anchor to the center, then it will rotate around the center. Go ahead and move the anchor to the center of the letter. Drop down the tools menu, and chose anchor Then drag it to the center

Use the green and red arrows for precision.

This is just some basic keyframe editing. I hope this help and if you need some more help just ask. I've included my project I made to help you. You can download it here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22807091/TextCreative.motn
When you click on the link, it'll just bring up a bunch of text. In Safari, just right-mouse click and select the "save page as". Then in the options change it from web archive to Page Source.

In like Chrome, right mouse click and hit "save as" Then put .motn at the end of it.

In my project, open up the keyframe editor and watch what I did to accomplish the effect. For the H i keyframed the color. You can pretty much keyframe everything. Check out what I did for each letter and mess with the controls a bit.

Using these techniques, complete your project!

Hope I was helpful,

AJ

Still more questions?
Fire away!

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:34:48 pm

A.J.:
Thanks so much for the tutorial.
The bit about anchor points is going to help a lot.
Its one of those things you know about but it doesn't come to mind until someone else reminds you.

I couldn't open your video because it was made in, I'm guessing, Motion 5.
I'm using 4.
It's truly not an issue.

Re: actually doing what I thought I wanted to do:
Like Spielberg with "JAWS", if the shark don't work, make it work without the damn shark.
Rather than sit frustrated, I started playing around with images and stroke styles and came up with another approach I really like.

Thanks again for all your help.
Michael

Return to posts index

AJ Robinson
on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:12:11 pm

Oh yeah I forgot, Motion 4 can't open 5 files, but 5 can open 4's files!

No problem.

AJ

Return to posts index

Andreas Zeitler
on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:07:31 pm

Thanks, AJ. Really helpful.

Michael's Spielberg quote makes me think of a German saying for some reason: "If it doesn't fit, make it fit."

Cheers,
Andreas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]