APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Wanting to align objects with a circular motion path

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BaumanWanting to align objects with a circular motion path
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:26:44 pm

I have four circular drop zones, with four different pieces of video in them. I want these drop zones to rotate around a title of text in the center. I've tried the orbit around behavior, I've tried the attract behavior. I've also tried reading the manual which is incredibly vague and seems very eager to talk about how to modify text behaviors which is not very useful.

Please help?

Return to posts index

Alex GollnerRe: Wanting to align objects with a circular motion path
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:23:47 pm

Once you position a drop zone the distance you want it remain away from your text open the Transform inspector. Set the anchor x and y points for the drop zone to be the same as the values for x and y position. Then set the values for x and y position to 0. If you then change the rotation value, the drop zone will rotate around 0,0.

However, if you want the drop zones to follow an elliptical path...

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Alex GollnerRe: Wanting to align objects with a circular motion path
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:34:34 pm

If the Orbit Around behaviour doesn't seem to orbit around the right point (for example, the centre of the text isn't at the centre of the screen), you can always create a dummy shape in the centre of the screen and disable it in the layer list. You can still use this dummy as the object around which your drop zones orbit.

http://help.apple.com/motion/mac/5.0/en/motion/usermanual/index.html#chapte...

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Andy NeilRe: Wanting to align objects with a circular motion path
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:01:03 pm

There's actually a fairly easy way to do this. I'm going to make a few assumptions about your project so correct me if I'm wrong about what you're trying to do.

I'm assuming you want the video to remain upside right while it orbits the text layer. This is easily achieved using the Motion Path behavior.

First, create your text layer and place in the center of your project (you can place everything in a group and move it all later.

Create your four drop zones and place them around the text. You'll probably want to make sure that each drop zone is set distance away from your text, but considering the 16x9 nature of most frame aspects, the top and bottom zones will likely be closer to the text than the left and right ones.

This will mean your orbit will be an elliptical one instead of circular. But don't worry, if that assumption is wrong, this technique works with circular orbital paths as well.

Then grab your circular shape tool and starting from the center, drag out an ellipse, holding down the OPT button so that the ellipse draws from the center outward. Basically drag it out until the edges of the ellipse run through the center of each drop zone that you have placed. When you get it close, release the mouse to finish the ellipse.

In the inspector, click the reset transformation button (the curved arrow at the top right of the properties tab) to center the ellipse. Then in the shape tab, deselect Fill and select Outline.

Select your first drop zone and go to Behaviors/Basic Motion/Motion Path. In the behaviors tab, change the Path Shape to Geometry. Then drag your shape ellipse into the shape well for the behavior.

To copy the behavior to the other drop zones, just select it in the layers pane, hold down OPT and drag onto the next drop zone layer. Once all the drop zones have the behavior on them, go into the behaviors tab for drop zone 2 and change the offset to 25 percent. Change drop zone 3's offset to 50 percent, and drop zone 4's to 75 percent. That will realign all the drop zones to the positions you initially had them in.

And you're done. Shorten or lengthen the behaviors to adjust the speed of the orbit.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

David BaumanRe: Wanting to align objects with a circular motion path
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 8:32:38 pm

Thanks guys!

Andy, your solution worked great. That was exactly what I wanted the drop zones to do. Thank you!

-David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]