APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

pro res export frames from motion 5 major shift

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan shutapro res export frames from motion 5 major shift
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:02:22 am

i'm trying to export an image sequence from motion 5.0.4, but the output (png/psd, etc.) images are extremely color-shifted. blues become turquoise, fleshtones are extremely bright in comparison to the source. i've applied no filters or anything to the video.

if i export to pro res out of motion, this doesn't seem to occur -- seems isolated to image export in this case. seems like it would be attributed to the common plague of gamma shift troubles, but i don't know why only image exports are affected. i want to export image sequences as this is going to be an on-going process of updating portions of the video, and i'd like to not render out the whole thing many times.

i notice that motion 5 no longer has an option in the media parameters to assign gamma to source files (like you could in v4), so i attempted to apply a gamma filter (which i know is not the best approach). gamma adjustments via the filter just darkened the super-saturated colors overall, it didn't resolve the issue at all.

thoughts on this?

screengrab of original video as intended:
4538_motionoutoriginal.png.zip

screengrab of blown out png export:
4539_motionoutblowout.png.zip

Return to posts index

dan shutaRe: pro res export frames from motion 5 major shift
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:07:33 am

oh and i tried multiple versions of the original pro res video -- it is a conversion from a "master" h264, passed through compressor 4. i tried both the auto- and non-gamma-corrected options for prores422, and also the different color spaces (default, rec709, preserve original) paired with the gamma toggle. results were actually identical regardless of the pro res settings -- blown out still image exports!

Return to posts index

dan shutaRe: pro res export frames from motion 5 major shift
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:17:55 am

also wanted to point out that the exported png files don't appear blown out unless they are opened in quicktime player, or converted to a video file. if i open the png files in preview, for example, they look ok. i'm taking the image sequences and making master pro res files with them, then converting to h264 for the web.

i noticed that even with generated shapes in motion, the exported png files look super saturated in quicktime and/or when converted from an image sequence to a movie file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]