APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How to tell Final Cut 6 to "send to" Motion 3 instead of Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan HendricksHow to tell Final Cut 6 to "send to" Motion 3 instead of Motion 5
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:24:20 pm

Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I'm running Final Cut 6, with both Motion 5 and Motion 3 installed on my machine. They both play nicely for the most part, and I'm just keeping Motion 3 around to roundtrip from Final Cut.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is as soon as Motion 5 is installed, Final Cut 6 wants to use it as the "send to" option when exporting footage to Motion from the timeline. Is there any way to edit a preference file somewhere to tell Final Cut to use Motion 3 instead? The roundtripping option to Motion 5 results in too many bugs to be useful (for example, the footage doesn't actually appear in Motion, though its layers do appear). Any help around this would be great.

Thanks,
d

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: How to tell Final Cut 6 to "send to" Motion 3 instead of Motion 5
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:52:01 pm

Best solution I've found is to rename the Motion 5 application - e.g., "MotionX"

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Dylan HendricksRe: How to tell Final Cut 6 to "send to" Motion 3 instead of Motion 5
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:57:41 pm

Yep, that totally did it. I was trying to find where the filetypes were associated, but it looks like Final Cut really is just trolling for strings matching "Motion". At least it works.

Thanks Mark!

Return to posts index

Stuart WarringtonRe: How to tell Final Cut 6 to "send to" Motion 3 instead of Motion 5
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 10:04:48 am

I found that changing the default open with application to an older version of motion sorted that problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]